Under 18s ALLIED COUNTIES - Match centre

Wantage Town FC
Sun 13 Sep 14:00 - League

Wantage Town (1) 2 - Chesterton (0) 1


Wantage Town Under 18’s
Chesterton Under 18’s
September 13th 2009

Wantage were at home again for their 2nd match of the new season and the weather was hot and sunny once again for a match where they were again facing un-familiar opposition, although 2 or 3 of the opposition players were familiar having played last season for Summertown.
Luke Stone was back to captain the team after an injury lay off of a month which meant he missed most of the pre-season games. And Max Johnson also returned so there was a more familiar look to the home sides defence.
Gary Stone sprung something of a surprise when he named Jonny Holliday in the central midfield alongside Edward Glover and Luke Withie.
James Burridge was given the task of leading the line up front.
Wantage started much the brighter of the 2 teams and came close to opening the scoring in the 8th minute when Burridge, Dorsett and Horswell combined well to set up a chance for Dorsett but his shot hit the keeper and bounced away to safety.
On 12 minutes Dorsett again opened up Chesterton down the right and found Withie whose low cross found Burridge in space but he failed to make contact and the chance went begging.
Then on 18 minutes the early pressure finally told. Withie, Hetherington and Horswell worked a neat little triangle on the left giving time in the end to Withie to cross left footed into the box where Dorsett had evaded his marker and timed a well measured looping header high over the keeper and into the net to make it Wantage 1 v Chesterton 0.
Chesterton created their first sniff of a chance on 23 minutes when Barefoot had to be quick off his line to snuff out the danger as a striker looked to latch onto a through ball played down the right edge of the Wantage box.
Wantage were awarded a free kick in a dangerous area 5 yards from the left edge of the area on 31 minutes – Stone curled it over the wall and into the 6 yard box where a Chesterton defender cleared under pressure for a corner. From that corner Withie found Stone and he could have been expected to do better but he was stretching and the effort was kicked off the line.
Withie went close with a volley over the bar on 37 minutes.
But the good work of the opening half that really should have seen a wider margin in favour of Wantage was almost undone in stoppage time when Barefoot came to the rescue with 2 brave blocks to prevent certain goals in the space of seconds.
So it was a bit of a warning note that was sounded as the teams trooped of with the score Wantage 1 v Chesterton 0 at half time.

The second half didn’t get off to a good start for Wantage with Withie taking a knock on the ankle that he tried to run off but had to be replaced by Latimer.
And only a last gasp clearance by Hetherington prevented a Chesterton equaliser in the 53rd minute after they had put together their best move of the match to that point down their left and seemed to have set up a tap in before the home sides left back got across to plug the gap.
Burridge and Glover did well to set up Latimer whose shot was blocked for a corner just before the hour mark.
And from the resulting corner taken by Glover, Stone rose well to head high into the top left hand corner of the net to open up the advantage to 2-0 with half an hour still left.
Glover again combined well with Latimer on 67 minutes – the shot from Latimer came back off the keeper and Burridge wasn’t far away with a side footed volley that just cleared the crossbar with the keeper out of position.
The home team continued to seek the 3rd goal that would surely tie up the points and probably the best move of the match came on 72 minutes involving Glover, Fesher and Dorsett and again it was Latimer who ended up with the shooting chance and again it was blocked at the expense of a corner.
Glover was running the show alongside Holliday in the centre of midfield and he was again involved in setting up Burridge whose low show was well parried by the keeper.
With 7 minutes to go Burridge was given a well deserved rest after working extremely hard leading the line to be replaced by Stephens.
As the game entered the final 5 minutes the home side seemed to take their foot off the gas and Chesterton should have scored from a free header 10 yards out on 86 minutes but the effort was directed wide of the goal.
But that seemed to offer the visitors a little glimmer of hope that raised their game and saw them force a series of corners in the last minute of normal time. Barefoot was the hero on the 1st corner tipping a point blank header for another corner. And he was at it again from the 2nd corner when he made an equally good save again at the expense of a 3rd corner. But on the 3rd occasion with again zero protection is seemed from his team mates he got under the ball and the ball flew into the net direct from the corner kick to take the score to 2-1 to Wantage.
There were an uncomfortable 2 minutes of added time to endure after that but they passed without any scares to see Wantage home to their first win of the new season.
Final score
Wantage 2 v Chesterton 1


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors