First Team - Match centre

Keynsham Town
Welton Rovers
Sat 29 Oct 15:00 - The Toolstation Western Football League - First Division Full time

Seviour the Saviour

Aaron's late equaliser earns the Greens a deserved point as they outplay high-flying Keynsham.

Match report from Bob Allard.

This was an absolute cracker of a game and a very good advert for Western League football. Credit must go to both teams for producing 90 minutes of attacking quality football that left the large crowd more than satisfied with what they witnessed.

Second placed Keynsham nearly scored in the first minute when a Welton back pass to keeper Owen Knight fell short and Matt Brown got there first but his goal bound shot was cleared with a last ditch Welton clearance. The home side were dominating early on and Harry Ollis headed wide. However after weathering the early storm Welton took control with the lively Aaron Seviour and Malick Jammeh causing problems for the Keynsham defence with their running and attacking play. A free kick from Welton captain Tom Smith was met by Will Hunter and his powerful header went inches wide of the target. Welton continued to press and a long range effort from Charlie Babb went close. Welton took the lead on 35 minutes when a 30 yard thunderbolt from Chris Pile saw Keynsham keeper Ash Wintle spill the ball due to the power of the shot and Weltons Shakel Green was first to react and he calmly slotted the ball into the Keynsham net. The home side responded and good play from Tauren Williams saw him find Brown in space and he scooped his shot over the Welton bar. Wintle then saved well to deny Seviour and at the other end Knight produced an outstanding save to deny the home side an equaliser when he tipped over a Sam Duggan effort.

The second half began with Knight called into action early on when he saved Jordan Ansty's glancing header. Welton responded and Pile was found on the edge of the Keynsham area but his first time effort flew over the bar. Former Welton player Ben Harris did get the ball into the Welton net only for referee Mansfield to disallow it for an earlier infringement, much to the dismay of the Keynsham faithful. However Keynsham were not to be denied and when Welton failed to clear their lines the ball fell to substitute Pat Davison who volleyed home from 20 yards. A quality strike from Jammah saw Keynsham keeper Wintle produce a top drawer save. However Jammah wasn't going to be denied, five minutes later a ball into the area saw Wintle and Jammah go for the ball and it fell to Jammah who tapped in to restore Weltons lead. Keynsham equalised for the second time, with ten minutes to go, when a corner from the right was met by Duggan and his power driver of a header flew into the Welton net. Five minutes later Keynsham took the lead when Welton failed to clear the ball and it fell to Duggan in space and he made no mistake with his effort. Welton heads didn't drop and they continued to press and were rewarded just before the final whistle when good play by Smith and Grant Price saw them disect the Keynsham defence and the ball fell to Seviour on the edge of the area and his first time volley kept low and flew into the Keynsham net to give Wintle no chance and deservedly equalised for Welton.

This was a great performance from Welton and it showed the travelling Green Army just how far the team have progressed since those difficult days at the beginning of the season.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division results

Devizes Town
Bishops Lydeard
Oldland Abbotonians
Corsham Town
Chippenham Park
Warminster Town
Westbury United
Wincanton Town
Calne Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Bishop Sutton 42 51
17. Oldland Abbotonians 42 50
18. Warminster Town 42 47
19. Corsham Town 42 42
20. Welton Rovers 42 37
21. Calne Town 42 34
22. Almondsbury UWE 42 28

Team sponsors


Club sponsors