Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Widnes Football Club


First Team - Match centre

Widnes Football Club
Widnes Rep. XI
Tue 18 Jul 19:45 - Friendly Full time

REPORT: Widnes 2-1 Widnes Rep. XI

Towey bags the winner in all-Widnes affair

A late Kev Towey winner proved to be the difference as Widnes FC’s pre-season preparations continued with a hard-fought 2-1 win over a Widnes ‘Select XI’ – a side consisting of players representing Widnes Cup sides.

Widnes were frustrated in the first half by the resilient and committed visitors, with Sam Sheen opening the scoring on the stroke of half-time with a neat finish.

Sean Farrell made things interesting as he equalised for the representative side with a drilled finish into the top corner before Towey’s winner 10 minutes from time secured victory for Joey Dunn’s men.

Widnes came close to taking a third minute lead. Sheen did well to release Towey into space who’s cross into the area was met by the head of Chris Lomax, who should have done better as he could only direct his header over the bar.

The hosts controlled possession for the majority of the first-half but couldn’t turn possession into goals. Alex Davies volleyed wide of the target before Colin Quirk shot straight into the gloves of goalkeeper Josh Fry.

Another Widnes chance then went begging as George Lomax narrowly turned a Chris Lomax cross wide of the target.

Fry produced a brilliant save to keep the scoreline goalless on the stroke of the half-hour mark. A superb ball from Quirk was brilliantly chested down by George Lomax in the area, but Fry was out quickly to make a superb block to deny the Widnes striker.

The Widnes Select XI ‘keeper then produced a double save as the hosts piled on the pressure. George Lomax won possession back on the edge of the area but Fry was out quickly to make the save, before Davies’ drilled rebound was saved well by the goalkeeper.

Widnes eventually found a breakthrough right on half-time. George Lomax tried to force his way into the area with the loose ball eventually falling to Sam Sheen who rolled a shot into the bottom corner to give his side the lead.

The second half began slowly but was thrust into life following the hour when the visitors mustered an equaliser. Widnes conceded a corner that they failed to deal with as Sean Farrell arrowed a powerful shot into the top corner on the half-volley, leaving Widnes ‘keeper Louie Mackin with no chance.

Manager Dunn rang the changes with 20 minutes left to play, with youngster Anthony Beyga being handed his first Widnes appearance.

Widnes looked sharper in the late stages and looked dangerous going forward. A superb Jake Larkin challenge prevented George Lomax from an easy tap-in following good work by Beyga before Luke J Edwards grazed the top of the crossbar with a shot from the edge of the area.

The visitors’ resistance was broken 10 minutes from time as Widnes found what proved to be the winner. Jay Roberts lifted a cross towards Towey lurking at the back-post, who drifted away from his man before finding the far corner with a diving header.

It was yet another good workout for Dunn’s men who continue their pre-season preparations with a triple-header over the course of the next week.

Widnes travel to recently relegated Cammell Laird 1907 on Thursday night before facing off against Hallmark Security League Premier Division rivals Burscough on Saturday at Victoria Park. Dunn’s men then travel to Maghull next Tuesday.

Widnes: Mackin (Cookson 69), Pollard (Graham 49), Mitchell, White, Akrigg (Rigby 69), Sheen, Davies (Edwards 69), Quirk (Roberts 69), G. Lomax, Towey, C. Lomax (Beyga 69).

Subs not used: Freeman.

Win a share of £250k for your club

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors