The message is from Ivan Torpey, Hampshire RDO and has been filtered down from the RFU.
I would like to draw your attention to the following points:
See full regulations in RELATED DOCUMENT below.
- Reg 13.5.14 - If a team has only 1 or 2 replacements, it will still be permitted 8 interchanges.
- Reg 13.5.17 - If a player is replaced for a blood injury, then subsequently returns, that counts as 2 interchanges.
- Reg 13.5.20 - Clubs will be written to prior to the start of the season, requesting that the coach/captain should declare to the referee when a player is replaced because of injury. This will allow the referee to keep track of players who will not be permitted to return following a second injury.
- In the same letter, clubs will be reminded that it is the joint responsibility of the referee and the teams concerned to manage the number of permitted interchanges. If a team exceeds the permitted number, it will be in breach of RFU Regulation 13.5.15 and liable to sanction. This will apply even if the referee has inadvertently allowed too many interchanges.
- Referee Society referees will be provided with scorecards to assist in the management of the interchanges. These will be sent to Society Secretaries prior by the second week in August.