The Vulcans was first founded in 1896, but was disbanded on no less than four occasions because of the lack of a permanent home and the two World Wars.
It was finally reformed in 1962 when it acquired three playing pitches in the village, on the newly developed Axwell View Playing Fields.
A split level purpose built clubhouse with a spectacular panoramic view of the Tyne valley admired by all visiting sides was erected the following year.
The club comprised of changing rooms and two large plunge baths on the lower floor, with a Bar and Members Lounge on the upper floor for social activities, which resulted in the club becoming the central focal point for all social activities in the Village.
Additions over the years have involved extensions to include a gymnasium on the lower floor, and dining area on the upper floor as well as match standard flood lights on the first team pitch.
The Vulcans have the reputation of being a hard playing side on the field, but most friendly off, a reputation inherited from our founder members, who from a small village mining community were able to supply no less than 10 members to the Durham County side during the 1906 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1930 period, with over 160 combined appearances.
Three players were selected to play in a joint Durham / Northumberland side against Australia, two against South Africa and one against New Zealand.
J.T Roddam with 40 County appearances, was selected for the Possibles v England trial.
The playing policy of the club is to tour alternate years, leaving the blank years to reciprocate the hospitality received, which has resulted in lasting friendships with clubs throughout the U.K.
Northern Division » Durham/Northumberland Division Two
|4||Whitley Bay Rockcliff||14||47|
|14||South Tyneside College||14||9|
Last updated Monday 22nd December, 23:38