Club Colours Royal Blue and Sky Blue
Club Badge The Cheshire Wheat Sheaves, the ICI Lion and the Brunner Mond Crescent.
Grounds The Paddock 1907-1914
The Tank Field 1920-1923
The Jubilee Field 1923 -1947
Moss Farm 1947 - 1976
Burrows Hill 1976 - Present
1. Early Days
Between 1892-94 a chemical plant at Lostock Gralam had been established by Bowman Thompson, this being eventually bought out by Brunner Mond and Company in 1900. Many of the first workers came from either Runcorn or Widnes, where rugby was the dominant winter sport. A sports club was formed and a rugby team was started, playing most of its games in the Merseyside area. When the 1895 union/league split occurred, this Lostock team sided with the rugby league code, but they too had disbanded by the time of the Brunner Mond takeover.
Contemporary with this was the expansion of the Winnington Recreational Club, which was centred around the chemical plants at Winnington and Wallerscote. Here a ‘state of the art’ recreational facility was established, providing a range of sporting and intellectual activities. All the major sports were represented and as early as 1892 it was suggested that a rugby section should be organized.
However this idea failed to take root and it was not until 1907 that a Winnington Rugby Club was formed. The Recreational Club’s archives show no details of a rugby section and it is to be presumed that this club was independent from the ‘Rec’, although it did use the pavilion to change in and to use the social facilities. Matches were played on ‘The Paddock’, adjacent to the Recreation Club ground and rugby shared this playing area with the hockey section and the horses of the company. This green field site later became the location of the Low Caustic Plant Boiler.
The first reported match took place on 22nd October 1910, when Winnington lost 23-3 to Sale ‘A.’ Two hundred spectators witnessed the next fixture, when Broughton Park won 15-0, while the first win came in late November – a 11-0 victory over Horwich.