Withycombe RFC Club History
Formed in 1924, the Club's original name of Withycombe Rugby Football and Recreation Club derived from the use of the old Recreation Rooms as changing accomodation. They stood at the site of the main entrance to the village primary school and were demolished to enable widening of the road in the late 1960`s.The first clubhouse was erected in 1964 at Raleigh Park. In the early days of the club`s existence it was somewhat nomadic and played games at several venues around the village until 1934 when Raleigh Willmot ,in whose honour the ground is named, turned his market garden into a sports field and sold it to Exmouth Urban District Council who leased the ground to the club.In 1971, with the inception of East Devon District Council,they became the new landlords and have supported the club superbly over the intervening years with various loans and grants to enable the club to build the wonderful facilities that we all enjoy today.
Always traditionally a family club, it was dominated in the early years by the Willmot, Burch and Rowsell families who between them provided club officers and players for several generations and their names can be found on the club honours board. More recently, the club has gone full circle with the founding of our ever growing juniors section as many of the young players attend the local village primary school and with their parents joining the club the family atmosphere has continued to be the strength of the club and should ensure its future.
Players are joining us as they see the potential for success and within a few seasons the juniors will begin to pay dividends as we will see a "conveyor belt" of new players coming through the system at the club.It is an exciting prospect and gives great hope for the sustained future of this great club.