Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Workington AFC


Workington U18 - Match centre

Workington U18
Sun 10 Sep 14:00 - League Full time

U18s record their first League victory.

The game set off very well for Reds U18s playing with the wind behind them with some of the two touch football on show a delight to watch.

Fifteen minutes in, with the Reds applying pressure on the Salterbeck defence, the ball came into the penalty area only for the Salterbeck keeper with an attempt to clear only for the ball to come off a defender and into his own net.

The Reds second goal came after 25 minutes, great play down the right side starting with Luke Davidson, the ball was then flicked on by Luke Mitchell for Macauley Sharp to hit a first time strike into the bottom corner of the net.

Reds third goal came on 35 minutes, Aaron Porthouse, today playing in his normal central midfield position, played the ball through to Macauley Sharp. Salterbeck’s keeper and a defender both went to challenge Macauley but he got the touch to Aston Reynolds who slid the ball into the net.

The second half started as we thought it would be playing into the wind with Reds coming under pressure straight away. With some of the lads playing their second game of the day having played in County trials in the morning, changes were made within with the first ten minutes of the half. Luke Davidson and Aston Reynolds came off for Jordan Winthrop and Matty Bryden.

Salterbeck used the weather to their advantage and at one point Salterbeck had 7 corners on the belt end, but Joe Hetherington, Liam Bates and Jordan Winthrop were formidable at the back - clearing everything up and supported by keeper David Ousby who made three fine saves.

Salterbeck’s first goal came after 70 mins with a tame shot and that deceived the keeper and went through his legs and rolling into the net.

Salterbeck were on the charge and Reds U18s were camped in their own half and a good ball down the Reds left hand side found the Salterbeck right wing who hit a shot into the top corner to bring the scorte back to 3-2 to the Reds.

Man of the match Liam Bates had to come off with 15 minutes to go, his replacement was Josh Taylor who was straight into the action. He played a good ball down the line for Luke Mitchell who put Sharp through only for his shot to come off the bar.

The game finished with Salterbeck still looking for the equaliser but their efforts came to nothing.

Team selection

Ousby, David Ousby, David
Harker, Cameron Harker, Cameron
Hetherington, Joe Hetherington, Joe
Flett, Leigh Flett, Leigh
Bates, Liam Bates, Liam
Burns, Jamie Burns, Jamie
Mitchell, Luke Mitchell, Luke
Porthouse, Aaron Porthouse, Aaron
Reynolds, Aston Reynolds, Aston
Sharp, Macauley Sharp, Macauley
Davidson, Luke Davidson, Luke


Loading comments


Club sponsors