Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Workington AFC


Workington U18 - Match centre

Maryport Labour Club First
Workington Reds U18
Sun 5 Nov 14:00 - Workington & District Sunday League - Division 1 Full time

Reds U18s maintain their unbeaten run

Reds went into the game with a few lads missing from the squad but were in good spirits due to their good start to the season.

The game kicked off and within 10 minutes in true Reds fashion this season, Reds went one-nil down after a set piece wasn’t dealt with and Maryport put the ball into the back of the net.

The first half was a scrappy affair with Reds having a lot of possession but struggled to break down Maryport’s defence.

Joe Hetherington and Liam Bates were working hard at the back dealing with the Maryport’s goalkeeper's great kicking ability.

With 15 minutes left in the first half Luke Mitchell played a ball up to Macauley Sharp who was pushed over in the penalty box and the referee awarded a penalty. Sharp picked himself up, placed the ball on the spot and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net to level the score at 1-1.

Reds' spirits were lifted and within 5 minutes Aston Reynolds went on one of his Messi-like runs, beating three Maryport players and riffling the ball into the top left-hand corner of the net for a 2-1 half-time lead.

Into the second half and the Reds fitness levels started to show as they were passing the ball around with MOTM Leigh Flett being central to most of Reds great play.

Eight minutes into the second half and Reds were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Luke Davidson stepped up with a great right-footed strike the ball flew into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Reds were now in full flow and it wasn’t long until they scored their fourth goal of the game. Cameron Harker, a second-half substitute, manufactured himself some space down the right-hand side before placing the ball past the Maryport keeper.

Maryport kept going and there right winger was causing our the Reds defence some problems. Jamie Burns was caught on the wrong side of him but managed to get back to tackle him inside the Reds area but was the referee deemed this a foul and a penalty awarded with Jamie receiving a yellow card for the offence.

The Maryport striker place the penalty past David Ousby, the Reds keeper to make it 4-2 to the Reds.

With seven minutes remaining, Cameron Harker scored another great individual goal to make it 5-2 to the Reds and that’s how it stayed until the final whistle.

A much improved second-half performance from the lads that they hopefully can carry forward into next weeks game, away to second in the table Silloth Albion.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Highfield Regulators
Dearham Commercial First
Maryport United First
Silloth Albion
Salterbeck First
Redhouse First


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Workington Reds U18 8 22
2. Seaton Royal Oak First 7 13
3. Silloth Albion 7 13
4. Dearham Commercial First 8 13
5. Redhouse First 7 11
6. Salterbeck First 9 11
7. Maryport United First 9 10


Club sponsors