Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Yate Town Football Club app


REPORT: Yate Town 1-1 Thatcham Town

2 weeks ago By Sebastian Parker

Yate Town held at Lodge Road

Only time will tell whether two more dropped points at home will have a real bearing on the end of season shake-up, writes John Davis.

The squad on duty, depleted as it was by injuries and unavailabilities, did well enough under the circumstances against a Thatcham side that seemed quite content to sit back in the second half, and on the number of chances created should have gone on to claim the win.

There were half-hearted shouts for a penalty when Ollie Mehew went down under a heavy challenge in the box early on while at the other end Shane Cooper-Clark shot wide instead of electing to pass when Ross Grimshaw lost the ball on the edge of the box.

There were few incidents then until the closing minutes of the first half when Yate looked as if they had opened the scoring before the visitors actually did.

After Adam Price's tap-in when a Mehew shot came back off the post had been ruled out for offside, play switched to the other end where, with no other options on, Cooper-Clark turned his man in the box and fired in a shot which took enough of a deflection off a defender to loop over Grimshaw into the net.

It was virtually one-way traffic after the break with Thatcham seemingly happy to defend in numbers whenever danger threatened and not creating a chance of note to test Grimshaw in the home goal.

The equaliser duly arrived on the hour. An inch-perfect cross into the box from Josh Ford found Mehew and he moved past his marker to find the corner of the net.

David Sims-Burgess blasted wide of the post after a run up the right and Price then wasted a glorious opportunity when he fired over the top after Mehew had opened up the Thatcham defence and laid the ball back to him.

It took a fingertip save from Chris Rackley to keep out a Price free kick that was destined for the top corner and then recent signing Harry Warwick was also denied by the Thatcham goalkeeper when he got his shot away.

Before the close, Sims-Burgess curled another shot over the crossbar after getting round his full back and the same player might have earned a late penalty when he was dragged down in the area as he cut in towards goal.

Man of the Match: Toby Rennie (Settled in well to support Josh Ford in the centre of the defence).

Attendance: 248. Star rating: 3/5.

Yate Town: Grimshaw, Humphreys, Keightley, Mehew, Ford, Rennie, Price, Guest, Langworthy (Warwick 57 minutes), Sims-Burgess, Twyman. Subs not used: Cann, King.

Statistics note: Those who are keen followers of mathematical trends and look for signs of 'progress' might be interested to know that the 40 point mark was reached this season one game short of the half-way stage in the league programme (18 games). In the last campaign (2017-2018) there were only 28 points on the board at the half-way point and it took 26 games to accumulate 40 points. During the 2016-2017 season only 20 points had been achieved at the half-way stage and it took the whole season's league matches to attain a total of 40 points.

A difficult away game at Melksham Town now follows on New Years Day (Tuesday) and next Saturday the visitors to the Universal Components Stadium are Street who are hovering around the edges of the play-off places after their first half season in the Southern League.

Updated 18:36 - 30 Dec 2018 by Sebastian Parker

Where next?

PREVIEW: Yate Town v Street The Bluebells first home game of 2019 sees us host Street at Lodge Road
REPORT: Yate Town 4-3 Mangotsfield United Derby Day delight for Bluebells

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 19 Jan
1st Team Moneyfields
League 15:00
Wed 23 Jan
League 19:30
Sat 26 Jan
1st Team Evesham United
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors