Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Yate Town Football Club app


Yate Town 2 Cirencester Town 2 - Match Report

10 months ago By Lawrence Wortman

Bluebells get a deserved point

Match Report by John Davis

For the second time this season, Yate left it late to rob free scoring Cirencester of victory and take a well deserved point.

A goal deep into stoppage time at The Corinium Stadium back in October led to a 4-4 finish and here it was Matty Tanner's first goal for the club with almost the last kick of the game that brought the scores level at 2-2.

Yet again the expertise and dedication of the groundstaff meant the game was able to go ahead despite the bulk of the league's programme being decimated by waterlogged pitches and some clubs now seem certain to face fixture congestion as the season draws to a close.

The first half was a cagey affair with Cirencester creating the better chances. Alan Griffin did get the ball in the Yate net only to be judged offside and Henry Spalding curled a shot against the upright as Harvey Rivers came off his line to narrow the angle.

At the other end Ben Brooks had a shot pushed away by Mateusz Wierczorek, Steve Davies had a goalbound effort blocked and Brooks almost finished on the near post after Ross Langworthy had worked the ball into the box.

It took only four minutes of the second half for Cirencester to go in front, Ben Whitehead further enhancing his chances of picking up the golden boot award by slamming the ball home from the edge of the box after a weaving Tommy Anderson run had done the spadework.

When Yate replied, Langworthy rapped the post before the former Cirencester player got clear up the left flank before sending in a curving cross which Davies anticipated and met at the near post to turn the ball in past the stranded Wierczorek.

Both sides went looking for the decider with Langworthy again being denied by the woodwork when he looped in a right foot shot that struck the crossbar and came back into play.

With eight minutes left it was Cirencester who got in front for a second time. A long range effort from Will Christopher into a crowded goalmouth seemed to present little danger but with Rivers unsighted by a cluster of bodies the ball ended up the net, Whitehead claiming the final decisive touch.

Yate then showed their resilience and when Rivers launched a long free kick forward and Nick Peare helped the ball on there was Tanner in the right place at the right time to hook the ball into the roof of the net.

The point took Yate up to twelfth place in the table with two home games to come this week against Larkhall Athletic (Tuesday) and North Leigh (Saturday). Already the points total from last season has been reached and, facing a less busy run in than most other clubs, a top ten finish is still very much on the cards.

Star man : Ross Langworthy

Attendance: 162

Yate Town: Rivers, Evans, Gregan, Peare, Boulton, Hitchings (Tanner 85 minutes), Price, Anderson (Blake 63 minutes), Davies, Brooks (Sims-Burgess 55 minutes), Langworthy.

Updated 13:02 - 23 Sep 2018 by Sebastian Parker

Where next?

Yate 3 North Leigh 3 - Match Report Yate drop vital points at home
New Signing - David Sims-Burgess Attacking Midfielder joins from Paulton

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 19 Jan
1st Team Moneyfields
League 15:00
Wed 23 Jan
League 19:30
Sat 26 Jan
1st Team Evesham United
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors