Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Yate Town Football Club


Yate vs Barnstaple Town - Match Report

9 months ago By Lawrence Wortman

Yate still searching for that elusive first win

Yate 3 Barnstaple 3 - Match Report by John Davis and Lawrence Wortman

Given their current positions in the league both teams desperately needed a win but in the end had to settle for a point each in an entertaining see-saw game that had plenty of goalmouth action.

After a nervy opening it was Barnstaple who got their noses in front on 14 minutes when Fletcher Williams centred from the left and Billy Hopcroft, with his back to goal, steered a flicked header over the outstretched arms of Harvey Rivers.

The lead lasted only ten minutes, Brad Abraham, showing great persistence, hammering the ball just inside the post after his first effort at goal had been blocked.

Rivers then did well to save with his legs as Barnstaple's Jordan Charran was put clear in the box while at the other end Grant Fisher made a similar save after James Harding and James Difford had combined well for Yate.

Jordan Walton then clipped the Yate bar with a long range effort before a powerful rising drive into the top corner from Ben Brooks, picked out by a searching cross-field pass from Harding, sent Yate in with a 2-1 interval lead.

End to end play continued after the break before the visitors turned the game on its head with a two-goal burst inside an eight minute spell.

First Charran curled a free kick over the defensive wall and into the far corner to level the scores and then the same player put his side ahead with a shot from inside the box that Rivers failed to hold.

Tom Harrison and Brooks, with a header, then wasted good chances for Yate and substitute Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist scraped the outside of the post with a low shot from distance.

A well-executed Charlie Hitchings header from a Brooks corner rewarded Yate's perseverance with five minutes left and in a grandstand finish Matty Tanner had a shot saved by Fisher and Leigh-Gilchrist had another effort blocked as the home side went for the winner. With the very last kick off the game Charlie Hitchings thought he had scored a dramatic winner only to be ruled off-side.

Overall a much better performance from Yate on the back of the heavy defeat last weekend however we are still searching for that first win this season. Next up for Yate are two tough league games with the visit of Salisbury next weekend at the Universal Components Stadium followed by an away trip to Taunton Town a week Tuesday.

Yate Team: Rivers, Evans, Gregan, Abraham, Baker, Hitchings, Keary, Harrison (Leigh-Gilchrist 65 minutes), Harding (Tanner 67 minutes), Brooks, Difford (Bryan 56 minutes). Subs not used: Llewellyn and Boulton.

Attendance: 126

Updated 13:38 - 13 Nov 2017 by Sebastian Parker

Where next?

Wed 9 May
League 7 – 0
Thu 3 May
Cup 3 – 2
Sat 28 Apr
1st Team Bishops Cleeve
League 2 – 0

News sponsors


Club sponsors