Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Yate Town Football Club app


Yate vs Bristol Manor Farm - Match Report

10 months ago By Lawrence Wortman

Bluebells lose but put up a great fight

Yate Town 1 Bristol Manor Farm 3

Match Report by John Davis and Lawrence Wortman

A second home defeat in the space of five days seems like a bad day at the office but any side is up against it when all the major decisions in a match go against you.

Two debatable penalties and a red card with only half the game gone inevitably means an uphill struggle and the outcome might well have been different if the home side had played the second half with a full complement.

Second-placed Manor Farm attacked from the start and almost took an early lead, Jordan Metters having an effort cleared off the line and Troy Simpson being denied by a diving Harvey Rivers when he headed a rebound from the crossbar goal-wards.

The first goal was not long coming. With ten minutes on the clock, Dean Stamp turned his marker in the box and fired a low drive into the corner past Rivers.

A crucial second goal for Farm came on 30 minutes. A header from a corner that was heading well wide of the goal was harshly judged to have been handled by Sam Boulton and the penalty kick that followed immediately was dispatched by Kye Holly.

Then, as Yate, who included new signing Adam Price, enjoyed their best period so far a hectic spell of goalmouth action brought the first half to a dramatic end.

After a shot from Theo Llewellyn had been saved by the legs of Farm goalkeeper Ashley Clark, several efforts were blocked on the line and Yate had two appeals for a penalty waved away as players went down in the box.

Minutes later, a flare-up broke out after Clark had dived to gather a Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist free kick. Kyle Tooze went for what appeared to be a loose ball and was shown a red card for apparent dangerous play against the goalkeeper.

In the second half, Yate looked dangerous on the break without creating clear cut chances although Leigh-Gilchrist was unlucky to see his curling free kick from distance hit the top of the crossbar. Manor Farm went close through both Metters and Holly.

The second penalty of the game came soon afterwards, Metters going down under a challenge as he cut in from the left-hand side and Holly proving as efficient with his second spot kick as he had been with the first.

Yate plugged away and got some consolation in the last minute when another free kick from Leigh-Gilchrist looped through a crowded goalmouth with Steve Davies claiming the final touch before it went into the net.

Despite the defeat there were a lot of positives to take from this match. Adam Price had a great debut game and with Nick Peare will bring experience to the midfield. Our attacking line has pace and signs that Tooze and Davies are starting to gel. The team battled all the way despite the key decisions going against us and going down to ten men and they were very unlucky not to have got at least a draw from this match.

We now have two difficult away games, North Leigh on Saturday and then the long trip to Bideford on December 16th. Sandwiched in between, Bishops Cleeve visit the Universal Components Stadium on Tuesday December 12th for a Gloucestershire Football Association Senior Cup match.

Yate Town: Rivers, Blake (Tanner 66 minutes), Gregan, Llewellyn, Boulton, Hitchings, Price (Difford 85 minutes), Lewis-Gilchrist, Davies, Tooze, Anderson (Brooks 80 minutes). Subs not used: Clark-Samuel, Gabbiadini.

Attendance: 169
Newspapers Star Man: Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist

Updated 13:09 - 23 Sep 2018 by Sebastian Parker

Where next?

Club Shop - Xmas Offer Yate Town FC Merchandise

Up your game with easyfundraising

Sat 20 Oct
1st Team Highworth Town
League 15:00
Wed 24 Oct
League 19:30
Sat 27 Oct
1st Team Dorchester Town
Cup 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors