Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Yate Town Football Club app


Cheddar FC 0-3 Yate Town FC (Match Report)

3 months ago By Gary Davis

Yate secure safe passage in the FA Cup

Cheddar FC 0-3 Yate Town FC
Match Report By Gary Davis

After an early scare when Cheddar went Route One to split the Yate defence and fortunately lobbed the effort wide of the post, the visitors took a lead on 10 minutes. A right wing corner was only half-cleared and Nick Peare rose highest to loop a header high back into the corner of the net. On 20 minutes, the hosts broke from midfield to fashion a chance on the left but the resultant rising shot cleared the bar.

A fine double-save from the home gloveman prevented a doubling of Yate's lead, as firstly Ross Langworthy burst beyond the right back to bring out a strong parried block, and Olly Mehew saw the keeper then get a hand on his follow-up effort. The away side needed to continue to persist in playing their football, keeping possession and surely their quality would eventually tell.

HT 0-1

Mehew had an early second-half opportunity, picking up a ball in the right channel but, under pressure, dragged his shot across the face of goal before the home side had to make a forced change, with their keeper retiring injured. This strangely seemed to strengthen their resolve and they sensed a leveller. The turning point came when, from a quick Cheddar counter on the right, and the ball being fed dangerously into the 6 yard box, the striker's first time effort was denied by a very smart reaction save onto the post, and the loose ball was thankfully hacked clear.

Mehew squared a ball to Langworthy whose shot was saved, before the visitors made changes, introducing Sam Boulton, Ben Brooks and Sam Kamara. As the game entered its final stage, the latter two combined. Kamara's pass set Brooks into space, and his early shot squeezed inside the near post for 0-2, before Kamara set up Peare, who sprang the offside trap with an impeccably timed run. He calmly controlled the pass before slotting the ball home.

Late on, Charlie Hitchings chasing back, hooked clear a consolation effort for the hosts from under his own bar and the final whistle blew to signal the Bluebells progression into the next round, comfortably in the end but a little uneasy at times.

FT 0-3

Updated 12:57 - 23 Sep 2018 by Sebastian Parker

Tue 11 Dec
League 19:30
Tue 18 Dec
League 19:30
Wed 9 Jan
U18s Odd Down
League 19:30

Team sponsors


Club sponsors