Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official York Acorn RLFC app


First Team - Match centre

York Acorn
Bradford Dudley Hill
Sat 24 Mar 14:30 - League Kickoff 14:30

Acorn 24 Dudley Hill 22

Acorn leave Dudley feeling ill

A 79th minute penalty goal from the boot of stand off Anthony Chilton from
30m , saw York Acorn snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, when they somehow managed to battle back from 12 - 22 down at home to Bradford Dudley Hill,to eventually win 24 - 22 in front of a large crowd and the watching arm chair viewers who enjoyed the free live stream.
Acorn certainly left it late and Dudley Hill will probably feel with some justification that they had done enough to warrant taking the spoils.
The game was littered with plenty of mistakes, which will leave both coaches feeling that there is still lots of work to do on the training paddock, but as for the neutrals it was pure theatre of the highest order - where the result was in doubt right upto the final minute of this compelling game.
The first half proved to be a keenly fought affair with defences on top, especially the visitors who had less of the possession and were behind on the penalty count.
Acorn managed to engineer a quality opening on 13 minutes, when smooth passing got Acorn to exploit the Dudley right edge defence and lovely delayed pass by Chilton A, saw centre Jordan Potter race in from 15m out.
Chilton A added the conversion to put the hosts 6 - 0 up.
Acorn were generally strong in defence with outstanding contributions coming from the second row pairing of Reece Rushworth & Matthew Woods with able support from scrum half Tim Elliott.
Both sides had half chances to alter the score , but Acorns failure not to take their chances came back to haunt them on 33 mins when a clever cross field kick from their stand off Dave Halley was impressively plucked out of the sky on the run by the games overall MOTM Neil Wall who touched down for a try which was converted by full back Simon Sewell to tie the scores at 6 - 6.
Right on the stroke of half time Sewell put the visitors 6 - 8 up by virtue of a 25m penalty goal as Acorns discipline started to slip.
A factor that nearly cost Acorn the game at the start of the second half ,when they were reduced to 12 men following the sin binning of prop forward Tom Hill for a high shot in front of his own posts.
The incident looked a lot worse then it was as the initial contact was on the shoulder but ended up in the players face and the referee took the decision that the hit wasn't controlled and therefore sent Hill to the sin bin on 43 mins.
Dudley took the simple penalty chance and moved 6 - 10 in front on the back of Sewells successful goal kick.
The visitors used their numerical advantage to good effect when they repeated their cross field kick tactic and the caught ball was kept alive and second rower Andy Walker went in for a try on 51 minutes to which Sewell then added the extras pushing the Bradford side into a 6- 16 lead just as Hill came back on the park.
Acorn, and Hill in particular responded perfectly to this set back, when straight from the kick off Hill raced down field to put pressure on the Dudley defender which resulted in Acorn recovering possession and they turned defence into attack in a blink of an eye and fluent passing from right to left ended with Potter notching his second try.
Chilton A popped over the goal to cut the defecit to 12 - 16.
I'll discipline during this period of the game, unfortunately meant Acorn were often guilty of giving away far too many penalties on the 5th and last and allowing their opponents plenty of extra ball in the Acorn half.
Acorns defence was easily unlocked on 66mins, when supporting scrum half Tony Williams was on hand to benefit from a numerical mismatch in midfield and he raced in under the posts for a try .
Sewell added the conversion to put his side into a seemingly match winning 12 - 22 lead.
Acorn now had to pull together as a team if there was any hope they could rescue this fixture and with their MOTM hooker James Mountford proving to be a thorn to the Dudley defence with his runs from dummy half and forwards Ryan Price , Nathan Welch and Brandon Harris proving to be willing ball carriers - the momentum turned in Acorns favour.
Acorn breathed life back into this contest , when on 72 mins Woods refused to be stopped despite finding his way to the try line blocked by plenty of defenders.
Legs pumping, Woods pushed his way through and over the try line for a vital score.
Chilton A popped over the conversion to put Acorn only 18 - 22 behind.
Acorn were still guilty of dropping too many balls in good field positions and wasting numerous chances and it seemed that this was going to be story of their performance as a whole.
Wrong Acorn finally managed to go the aerial route and on 77 minutes a towering Chilton A cross kick was fielded out of the air by winger Josh Thompson who immediately offloaded over his shoulder to impressive centre Jordan Potter who raced in at the corner for his hat trick score to tie the scores up at 22 apiece.
Chilton failed with the difficult conversion attempt from out wide.
This set up a frenzied last few minutes and Chilton A had a drop goal attempt charged down before the visitors gave away the vital penalty chance for Chilton A to win the game in dramatic fashion.
Obviously Reintoul and Cain will have plenty of things to say in training about certain aspects of their sides performance but they can't help but be please about the way they never gave up.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors