Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with York Acorn RLFC


A Team - Match centre

York Acorn
Sat 8 Jul 14:30 - Yorkshire Mens League - Division 1 Full time

Acorn 32 Heworh 24

Acorn A team were jubilant this weekend getting their first positive result of the season

Acorn A team were jubilant this weekend getting their first positive result of the season, and against local rivals Heworth.
Acorn A have struggled this year but have felt that they have not been far off the mark losing games despite good performances and letting teams get the better of them in the last ¼ of the game. This was not the case this week, playing Heworth 1st team, who now join Acorn 2nd in the Yorkshire Mens League will always be a game, with both clubs keen to take the spoils.
The game was evenly matched throughout and with Heworth being in front with 10 to play it seemed as though Acorn were destined to remain with their ‘monkey on their back’.
However old boy Joe Burns had different ideas, first scoring a try to take the lead by 2 and then the architect of the final try that saw youngster Reece Maynard score under the posts to seal the win with only minutes left.

Heworth opened the scoring on 2 minutes, scrum half Liam Jackson, who had an outstanding game, showing his skills to exploit poor defending. Joe Deighton added the 2 to give Heworth a 6 point advantage. Acorn hit back on 10 minutes, Mark Sanderson making a break and Ben Dale on hand to get their first try of the afternoon. Joe Burns added the extras. 6-6.
Acorn then took the lead, Karl Harton, who ran Joe Burns close for man of the match today, was too strong for the Heworth defence, Burns conversion gave Acorn the lead 12-6.
Hewrth hit back impressively, taking advantage of having extra time with the ball and proving too competitive for Acorns defence when player coach George Elliot crossed, Joe Deighton, always impressive with the boot, brought the scores level again.
Acorn again went on the attack with Harton being the enforcer, eventually finding his way to the lane foe his 2nd try. Burns converted.
Acorn then held out as Heworth battled to hard to regain momentum and bring the score back within their reach. Sustained pressure paid off on the stroke of half time, second row Liam Richmond forcing his way over, with Deighton again accurate with the boot, all even at 18-18 at the break.

5 minutes into the 2nd period Acorn took the lead again this time winger Paul Cross, the receiver of the ball with space to run at the line out wide, Burns unable to convert gave Acorn only a 4 point advantage. 2 minutes later that advantage was taken away, Elliot again the protagonist in attack and showing determination to hit straight back. With Deighton’s kicking being impervious, Heworth now had the slender advantage of 2.

The sizeable crowd were entertained superbly for the next 20 minutes as both sides battled hard for what could be a winning score at the same time defending like their lives depended on it.
On 72 minutes Joe Burns show and go left the defence wanting leaving him with the opportunity to put Acorn back in front by 2. Unable to convert, the last 5 minutes was going to be tense. With 2 to go Burns kicked down field to clear the Acorn lines and get the ball as far down field as possible. Reece Maynard chased the kick and a favourable bounce of the ball in front of the advancing Heworth full back, landed in his hands and he touched down between the sticks, to seal the win.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

New Earswick All Blacks
Skirlaugh Bulls
West Hull
Mirfield Stags

Team sponsors


Club sponsors