Sat 26
1st team
Sileby Town FC
H Brown (14')
Ellistown FC v Sileby Town

Ellistown FC v Sileby Town

By Andrew Grout
Share via

Ellistown battle for the 3 points

Ellistown had to battle and survive a 2nd half onslaught to take the 3 points in a wind effected game v Sileby Town.

With the wind being Town's friend in the 1st half, it was not a surprise we started on the front foot with Haydn Brown causing Sileby all kinds of problems.

We deservedly took the lead on 14 mins when a great Ashley Riddell cross was headed home by Haydn Brown for his 23rd goal of the season.

EFC 1-0 STFC 14 mins

In difficult conditions Town were playing some great back to front football with debutant Sam Roper having a quiet 1st half and captain for the day, Adam Poxon stepping up to his new responsibilities and defender Michael Hill putting in a man of the match performance.

Only a world class save from Goalkeeper Damian Anstiss from a Haydn Brown penalty stopped town doubling the lead on 29 mins.

The penalty save brought Sileby to life and for the rest of the 1st half it was more of an even game, with Ellistown standing firm.


The 2nd half would provide a tough test for Town as Sileby would have the wind in their favour and so it proved as town struggled to create clear-cut chances.

Credit to our defensive unit that started with Danny Turner and Jacob Stevenson up-front as we fault to keep our lead intact and apart from a reflex save from Sam Roper where the ball fell to an on rushing centre forward who should have scored, we limited Sileby to set-pieces.

As those who have read previous match reports know, our weakness is defending leads. Today was that exception and proved how far the team have developed this season. We repelled every dangerous set-piece and put bodies on the line.

Ollie Coe and Aaron Windram were superb in midfield, and they were supported by the Warren brothers, Ben and James down the left hand side and George Wesley who has perfected the holding midfield role.

Would the last minute curse strike again as Sileby attacked and put a ball right across our goal-line? The home fans held their breath as in slow motion the ball went straight across the box and out the other side. At which point the Ref blew for full-time.



Ellistown won the first half and Sileby will be frustrated they never won the 2nd.

Town should be proud of their performance especially in the 2nd half when it was backs to the wall. Well done lads.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 26, Feb 2022






Everards Brewery Premier Division

League position

Sileby Town FC
Ellistown FC
Michael Hills