Shirt Sponsor - Howden'sOldham Rugby - Club Shop - Teejac Sports1st XV Kit Sponsor - ePower Trucks2nd XV Kit Sponsor - Shorts Lifts
Sat 14
Stockport 4
Oldham RUFC 3rd XV
A Grant (2), J Greenough (2), M Hamer (3), M Meggison (5), M Bleese (2)
M Meggison (11)
ORUFC 3rd XV v Stockport 4's

ORUFC 3rd XV v Stockport 4's

By Jon Maslen
Share via

A big win on the road keeps Oldham 3s slim promotion chances alive.

After the Easter break Oldham where in 5th position in the league only 2 points behind 2nd place. With 2 games left both games had to be won starting with today against Stockport who have themselves had some good results recently.

Oldhams management team had a nightmare regarding trying to put out any sort of team never mind the strongest. At 9pm on Friday night Oldham had 11 players and where almost out of options. Then the word came through Hope Valley had cried off against Oldhams 4th team. This meant some players would fancy a game and strengthen our team up. With Valley crying off this also meant Oldham 4th team where promoted and finished top of their league.

The 3rds now had a team and it seemed that the players were up for it. Straight from the kick off Oldham went looking for points and showed they weren’t there to sit back and wait. After only 4 minutes Captain Martin Meggison crashed over the line to open the scoring converting his try. Stockport are a good well drilled team and everyone knew they couldn’t let them back into the game. Oldhams lineout’s were text book with Martin Hamer winning every Oldham ball and 50% of Stockport’s. Oldhams 2nd try came from back row player Hamer powering his way over the line to which Meggison Converted.

Stockport hit back with a quick try down the wing but couldn’t add the extras. This fired Oldham up and the doors where shut. Some excellent defence all round the park prevented any more points being scored against a dominant Oldham side. With ball in hand Oldham where unstoppable and next to cross for Oldham was Michael Bleese scoring his 1st Oldham try of the season. With the conversion added Oldham led 21 5.

From the restart Oldhams on form winger Joe Greenough received the ball on the halfway line and ripped the Stockport defence to bits scoring in the corner. Again Meggison added the extras. Stockport’s heads where going down and arguing between themselves left the door open for Hamer to grab his 2nd try of the game. The conversion was easy for Meggison.

With half time looming Captain Meggison knew points difference could be vital at the end of the season and took it on himself to go on a storming run bursting through would be tacklers and cross the line and converting.

Half time score was Oldham 42 Stockport 5.

Some changes were made and different tactics decided for the 2nd half which seemed to work. Some big runs from Pete Hilton and Joe Cook made gaps for the try scorers as well as some good scrumming from Brent Pollitt and Steve Kennedy to set the platform for Oldhams backs to do what they do best and pile on the points. Every time Oldhams backs got the ball they where unstoppable linking up with each other. Some great team work lead to Oldham showing they where by far the better team on the day.

The try scorers in the 2nd half were: Meggison 3, Anton Grant 2, Bleese 1, Greenough 1, Hamer 1. Meggison converting 5.

With the final whistle coming near Stockport chipped through but winger Greenough dealt with the ball and cleared the danger, only for Stockport’s 2nd row to flop on him almost breaking him in half. The physio was called from the 1st team game and inspected the Oldham in form winger. He was obviously in agony with his back. Eventually Greenough was able to leave the field in some considerable pain. With this the ref blew up for full time.

Let’s hope Greenough can recover for next week’s game. Man of the Match goes to Martin Hamer.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 14, Apr 2012



Meet time



Division 4 East
Martin Hamer

Player of the match

Martin Hamer