Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ashton United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Ashton United
Frickley Athletic
J Higgins (VC) (67'), M Pilkington (62')
Full time
Tue 10 Mar 19:45 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Attendance 137

Frickley Fightback

The Blues comeback from 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go to share the spoils.

A change in formation and personnel from the victory at Buxton at the weekend meant that Martin Hill started his first game since New Years Day and Jack Sherratt also came back into the starting eleven.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game as Reece Thompson broke free on the right and unleashed a shot across goal that scared the Hurst Cross faithful. Shortly after as both teams tried to settle into the game, Leadbetter and Parkinson were pulled up by the linesman on the far side for a over-friendly tussle.

A minute later and Dale Johnson shot well over the bar after a well-worked move on the left wing where Sherratt intercepted the ball before Kevin Leadbetter ran onto it and fired the cross in.

Frickley's Luke Hinsley then narrowly shot wide after pouncing on a Greg Pearson mistake, when the ball seemed to get stuck under his feet. Thompson then received the first yellow card of the game after leaving his foot in when challenging the ball from Sam Wilson.

Both teams continued to trade blows and it was Frickley's goalkeeper, Sam Leigh who nearly opened the scoring after slicing his goal kick. On the half-hour mark Gary Gee headed wide, with Higgins copying the feat a few minutes later after a spell of constant pressure by Ashton on The Blues defence.

As half-time was approaching Hill got free and his cross was flashed across, but Pilkington was unable to get on the end of it.

Upon starting the second-half Darcy O'Connor came on to make his second appearance for the club in place of Sherratt. Thompson then broke free once again, but after being in a good position put the ball high and wide of Phillips' goal. From that though Pilkington had the best chance of the game, as he shot straight at Leigh.

Frickley continued to rack up the bookings as their captain Luke Jeffs was given a yellow. The visitors then had a succession of corners but we're unable to take advantage.

Leadbetter then finally got the ball down and put Martin Pilkington free on the left wing. His cross however was too fast for Johnson and Hill to react and get any sort of contact on to it.

On the hour mark Johnson then mis-hit his shot, which somehow hit Pilkington and the instinctive reaction of Leigh prevented an Ashton goal.

Frickley then brought on Jameel Ible for the injured John Cyrus and Gavin Allott then missed a free header only for The Robins to open the scoring from the counter attack. Pilkington getting the ball on the edge of the box and smashing his shot, that hit the far left post and flew across the line.

5 minutes later and Jack Higgins doubled the score as he turned quickly and fired his shot across goal and into the bottom right-hand corner. This was after Pilkington had his header clawed off the line by the ever-impressive Leigh from Johnson's pin-point cross.

All was going well as Oates came on for Johnson who seemed to go off with a nasty knock. Ashton United continued to press forward and to their own downfall Higgins conceded a penalty, for which he got booked for, after bringing down Reece Thompson - a persistent threat in Frickley's attack. Allott stepped up and fired it into the bottom right. Paul Phillips guessed the right way but was centimetres from getting a touch to it.

Another game was turned on its head in a matter of minutes as Robins fans continued to bite their nails. With three minutes to go the visitors launched a free kick from their own area to Thompson who broke free once again and hit a shot straight into the goal, avoiding the advancing Phillips.

From that the visitors held on for a very valuable point that lifted them out of relegation, where on the other hand it seemed a loss as Ashton could've gone two points behind FC United of Manchester, who were also held to a 2-2 draw with Ilkeston.

Team: Phillips, Hill (Rick), Pearson, Wilson, Higgins, Young, Leadbetter, Gee, Johnson (Oates), Pilkington & Sherratt (O'Connor).

SNU: Robinson & Halford.

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Kevin Leadbetter

Player of the Match

Kevin Leadbetter

Key moments

Goal Martin Pilkington scores for Ashton United
Goal Jack Higgins (VC) scores for Ashton United

Videos and photos

Ashton Utd 2 - 2 Frickley
21 photos
Ashton Utd 2 - 2 Frickley
Ashton v Frickley 10.03.15
Replay game

As it happened

  • Ashton United
  • Frickley Athletic
  • 0
  • Darcy O'Connor Sub On 45:00'
  • Jack Sherratt Sub Off 45:00'
  • Martin Pilkington Goal 62:00'
  • Jack Higgins (VC) Goal 67:00'
  • Michael Oates Sub On 74:00'
  • Dale Johnson Sub Off 74:00'
  • Jack Higgins (VC) Yellow Card 78:00'
  • Gary Gee Yellow Card 81:00'
  • Lee Rick Sub On 84:00'
  • Martin Hill Sub Off 84:00'

Video Advertising

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Matlock Town
FC United of Manchester
Ilkeston FC
Ramsbottom United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. FC United of Manchester 46 92
2. Workington 46 90
3. Ashton United 46 84
4. Curzon Ashton 46 83
5. Ilkeston FC 46 81
6. Blyth Spartans 46 79
7. Skelmersdale United 46 73

Team sponsors


Club sponsors