News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Route to the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Route to the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Aveley Football Club6 Oct 2015 - 16:17
Share via

With the match coming soon here is how both sides have got to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

Havant & Waterlooville route to the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round-

With the Hawks in the Conference South, they only entered the FA Cup in the last Round (second qualifying round), and faced Larkhall Athletic. Larkhall are at the same level as Aveley FC, and the Hawks seemed to have struggled against the Larks.

Second Qualifying Round- Larkhall 1-1 Havant & Waterlooville
Havant & Waterlooville seemed to make hard work of the South and West league team as they drew 1-1 away at Larkhall, even though the hosts were down to ten men. The Hawks went ahead with ex-Yeovil Town striker James Hayter headed home. Brad Norris was then sent off for Larkhall on 58 minutes and that really should’ve been that. But with two minutes left Joe Raynes fine individual goal levelled the scores bringing a replay just a few days later.

Second Qualifying Round Replay- Havant & W 4-2 Larkhall
In the repay it was the conference South side who progressed, eventually. Havant were helped by Larkhall being reduced to 8 men for the last ten minutes of the affair. There looked to be a shock on the cards as Larkhall found themselves 1-0 up through Norris. Striker Matt Paterson fired a warning shot and a few moments later Hawks levelled with a header from Strugnell. Striker Paterson did get his goal after he converted a cross into the back of the net in the 45+2 minute of the match, a goal at a crucial time. Again Matt Paterson scored this time after beating the offside trap, he slotted past Larks keeper Phillips to make it 3-1. The Larks were reduced to ten men in controversial fashion, but did soon after get a goal back from an Ollie Price header. Hawks did restore their two goal lead, experienced striker Marvin Morgan fired past to round off the game and send Havant & Waterlooville through.

Aveley FC route to the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round-

Preliminary Round- FC Clacton 2-6 Aveley
This cup game was a slippery banana for the Millers. And with the first half performance Clacton were unlucky to not be in front. FC Clacton took the lead twice in the first half but goals from Ahmed Deen and Liam Nash made it 2-2. With a league between these two sides it showed as the match went on. The Millers took the lead through Spencer Harrison and never looked backed as the centre-half headed from a Elbi corner kick. With ten minutes left on the clock the Millers really did run riot, Liam Nash scored three goals, assists from Marcus Elliott and James Peagram sent the Millers through emphatically to the First Qualifying Round.

First Qualifying Round- Histon 1-5 Aveley
Of what could be seen as the best team performance of the season and of the FA cup, the Millers destroyed ex Conference Premier League high flyers Histon by five goals to one. The Millers lead 2-0 inside 30 minutes, a James Peagram clinical double sent the Aveley on their way. Histon did pull a goal back through Sam Ives after he reacted quickest from James Marrables save. But the Millers fired back and rest of the match showed their quality. Captain Billy Holland got the third with a cool and calm finish into the bottom corner of the net. Millers made if four with a long range free-kick from Lee Prescott, it was one that seemed to not go in, but the wall jumped over it and the keeper was little bit suspect to let the ball go straight into the bottom corner of the net. Aveley rounded off the win with another fine goal, this time Marcus Elliott scored it he showed his strength and buried it past Denzal Gerrar.

Second Qualifying Round- Horsham YMCA 2-2 Aveley
It was another game where Millers seemed to be in complete control but almost ended up throwing the match away. For 60 minutes of the game Aveley were in cruise control, goals from James Peagram and Liam Nash made it 2-0. The game really should’ve been put to bed with Billy Holland and David Fallah wasting opportunities to increase the scoreline but they didn’t convert them. Horsham YMCA got back into the game as Spencer Harrison scored an own goal from the hosts corner. The equaliser then came with ten minutes remaining a shot from the edge of the area squeezed in and gave the sussex side a replay.

Second Qualifying Round- Aveley 4-1 Horsham YMCA
The Millers sealed their way through to face Havant & Waterlooville with a comfortable victory over the Sussex side. Midfielder Lee Prescott stole the show with a superb well rounded performance, and the hat-trick wasn’t bad either. The Millers took the lead early on, great work from Liam Nash played it to Billy Holland whose cross was stopped with the hand of the defender, Prescott stepped up and smashed it home. Miller's second came near the end of the first half, a brilliant solo goal by Prescott and he whipped the ball into the top corner from a ridiculous position. The match on a whole was ended from a corner, whipped in by man of the match Prescott and Willis met it to head into the back of the net. Horsham YMCA kept plugging away and got their deserved goal as striker Dean Wright headed in from their very own corner. With time ticking away Lee Prescott sealed the match ball with a volley from close range.

It’s a massive game now for both sides who both have ambitions of the next round of the FA Cup.

Saturday 10th October
Aveley v Havant & Waterlooville
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
3PM Kick Off

Further reading