Sat 20
First Team
S Harrison (46'), J Baker (64'), A Gayle (84')
Simply Red-tastic

Simply Red-tastic

By Aveley Football Club
Share via

Millers play in red for first time this season and bag all three points after goals from Spencer Harrison, Junior Baker and Aaron Gayle

Three second half goals gave Aveley a great win against local rivals Romford at Ship Lane. Romford stated before they wanted to put an end to our good run of form, however we were superior on the day and showed yet again what a force we are in the Ryman North.

It was a great start from Aveley creating numerous good chances, getting in-behind Romfords defence, but for some last gasp blocks by Romford as the ball was put in the middle by Billy Coyne, Marcus Wlliott laid it off for Petrit Elbi whose shot was blocked well by Romfords FA Cup hero Jamie Dicks.

Aveley's front man Lee Weemes did well to get a corner as he grabbed with Romford defenders, Billy Coyne whipped in the corner, Marcus Elliott won the header, but could only direct towards the defending Romford players who cleared it far far away, to keep the game scoreless.

Romford showed very little threat in the first half,but when they did attack, Aveley countered with the superb pace of Daniel Francis, he passed it to Lee Weemes who is then taken out so the move couldn't develop, free-kick was given. Billy Coyne smashed it, the goal keeper fumbled it, it landed to Lee Weemes in the most tightest of angles who could only put it towards the goal with no real power on the follow up shot and the Romford shot-stopper Omand could collect the ball before it squeezing over the line.

Romford had their first shot in the 18th minute of the game as they got the Millers back line backtracking to their own goal, Tom Richardson came inside, his shot was a poor one and it bobbled with no real pace into the arms of James Marrable.

Aveley attacked once again, this time it was Marcus Elliott but he was fouled, and the free-kick was given in Billy Coyne territory. Teddy Nesbitt and Billy Coyne stood over the free-kick, Billy Coyne took it, the ball looked destined to go into the top corner of the goal, but a superb finger tip save by Omand denied Billy Coyne from breaking the deadlock.

Romford had their first real chance as Jamie Dicks got in behind but was denied by the superb save by James Marrable, he came out and made himself big, was great goalkeeping.

The Millers attacked again but frustratingly another superb save by Omand, he would have easily been match of the match so far, if someone else was in goal it would have been 3-0 to Aveley. Billy Coyne cut inside crossed the ball, it deflected off a defender, it wrong footed Omand, but he somehow recovered quite brilliantly and managed to save it.

Half Time Romford 0-0 Aveley.

Second Half:
Aveley started the second half poorly, Romford had a great chance as they attacked with pace but Truman didn't look up and pass to his open teammates, instead he shot and it trickled along to James Marrable.

The deadlock was finally broken, two minutes after the restart, as Teddy Nesbitt was fouled as he tried to wriggle away from a Romford defender. Coyne crossed it straight at Ottley, but the pace of it made Ottley flick it up and towards his own goal, Junior Baker headed it across to the feet of Spencer Harrison who smashed it into the goal. Romford 0-1 Aveley.

The response was almost instant, Romford caught the Millers napping, five Boro players attacked against three Aveley defenders, Ryan Imbert played in Tom Richardson who slide the ball cooly past the approaching James Marrable to equalise for Romford. Romford 1-1 Aveley.

Three back to back corners for the Millers lead to Aveley taking the lead for the second time in the game. The first corner Marcus Elliott was tackled, but this time Teddy Nesbitt''s corner was poor. The second corner Junior Baker won, he seemed to take an elbow to the face off one of the Romford players but only a corner was given, that corner was taken by Billy Coyne but his ball to the back post was nodded behind for the Millers third corner. Teddy Nesbitt took it, the corner went to the back post where Junior Baker crashes in his header into the back of the net to put Aveley into the lead. Romford 1-2 Aveley.

What Aveley needed to do was just hold on, with the tightest defence in the Ryman North, they did just that. James Marrable was given a yellow card as he came out and clattered into a Romford player, and he was awarded a yellow card to match his yellow shirt.

Aveley made a change as Danny Francis came off for Theo Ola.

Romford then attack as a great cross came into Tom Richardson, but his header was tame and straight at James Marrable. Romford then had a great chance as they got a free kick right in the edge of the area, the free kick was taken by David Ottley, but he fired high and very wide.

Aveley came back strongly with a chance after great work by Theo Ola, he laid it back to Matty Bakare but his shot is blocked out for a corner, but the corner went straight out for a goal kick.

Aaron Gayle then came on for Lee Weemes and straight away Gayle had a chance put in the plate for him by Marcus Elliott to make it 3-1. It all came from a horrific defence error by Romford, he didn't get anything on the header back, Marcus Elliott poached took the ball, played it across the goal for Aaron Gayle to toe poke the into the bottom corner to wrap up the game for the Millers. Romford 1-3 Aveley.

Another substitution for Aveley as Marcus Elliott ran himself into the ground in this game is replaced by Armah-Tackie. 87

With one minutes gone of the three added on, Aveley showed how they didn't want to slip up at all, Billy Coyne with a great goal-line clearance to keep out Romford.

Full Time: Romford 1-3 Aveley.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 20, Sep 2014



Meet time





Ryman North