Sat 08
Glamorgan Wanderers
Green & Gold Fight Off Late Wanderers Surge To Win

Green & Gold Fight Off Late Wanderers Surge To Win

By Mal Davies
Share via

Third consecutive win secured but not without anxious second half moments

There was much to be pleased with but also some areas of concern as Beddau overcame bottom side Glamorgan Wanderers. Indeed, the Cardiff side matched Beddau`s 4 tries and, had Luke Fish produced some goal-kicking of the quality of his all-round game more finger nails may have been chewed.

Wanderers had come in the mood to play their way up the table and put some early width on the ball. Beddau were finding it difficult to gain any kind of ground and when open side Jordan Goodwin limped off Leon Rogers, with barely 5 minutes on the clock entered the fray.

Some solid tackling in Beddau`s back line finally secured possession and some concerted play took the ball deep into Wanderers territory. At a skirmish Wanderers` tight head Joe Russell was fortunate to receive only a yellow card for use of the boot. It wasn`t a malicious act but it was reckless and less lenient officials than Mr Kibble might well have exercised the full sanction.

Beddau took full advantage when Hywel Chatham, on the end of a flowing move, drew a defender and put Kristian Parker in for a good score which Chatham converted. Pretty much from the restart the combination of Callum Wheeler and Cody Baker swept down the left. The move was briefly halted but on the recycle Adam Ashford`s piercing run opened the way for skipper Lloyd Evans to make it one apiece for the boys in the boiler. Hywel Chatham converted from the touchline.

With the return of Joe Russell, and the sacrificed Owain Thomas, Wanderers got stuck into the task of clawing back the deficit. Beddau helped by conceding some cheap penalties which allowed the visitors to set up camp deep in the 22. A try arrived but not without a little controversy. Several attempts to force a score were held at bay until Wanderers tried to spread the ball. Centre Darren Ryan, under the close attention of Callum Wheeler, dropped the ball and Wheeler was also not able to get his hands to it. The scrum, though, went the way of the visitors. Scrum half Myles Churcher went first one way then the other as he dotted down under the posts. Luke Fish converted.

Wanderers, despite the imposing presence of props Simpson and Russell, were having a miserable time at the scrum and when Beddau`s eight drew a penalty it was a little surprising to see Hywel Chatham push his effort wide, thus breaking a run of 15 successful kicks. The relief was short-lived. Cody Baker eluded tacklers in a mazy run and finally linked with Callum Wheeler for the full back to finish a brilliant try. A petulant Wanderers player hit the unguarded Wheeler with a late and cheap shoulder charge so that, following the conversion, Hywel Chatham was placing a penalty to touch from halfway. Lloyd Evans did the honours at the lineout and with Chatham again standing up the defence the quick-witted Cody Baker arrived to take the pass and ghost through for the try. Hywel Chatham added the points.

A 28-7 lead at half-time should have lit the way to an imposing win. That didn`t happen. Beddau were certainly not in Mr Kibble`s good books and a stream of penalties allowed Wanderers to retain the ball. The first half ploy of huge props had now given way and the inclusion of line-out jumper Jake Thomas made touch kicks from the numerous penalties a profitable source. One catch and drive was ultimately rewarded when Number 8 Ross Gibbon crossed.

Carl Lewis, Beddau`s busy scrum half was sent to the bin when Beddau offended at the breakdown and in another burst of power-play replacement prop Curtis Hicks was driven over. Luke Fish couldn`t improve either try and Wanderers supporters would have sighed in frustration to see Hywel Chatham slot an angled penalty when it was finally their turn to be pinged at a breakdown. Wanderers, though, had the final word when some good handling in midfield opened the way for the dashing Philip Pariyo to brush off a tackle in scoring at the flag.

That ended the scoring for the afternoon but there was time still for Beddau to squander scoring opportunities through indiscipline and to also open the door to a late assault from the visitors. A crushing tackle from James Cashin brought the first thrust to a halt and with James Davies locking the door on the touchline and Lloyd Evans organising his front line Beddau saw off the threat.

Report by Lynn West

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 08, Oct 2016