Sat 12
Green & Gold Rue Missed Opportunities In Disappointing Reversal

Green & Gold Rue Missed Opportunities In Disappointing Reversal

By Mal Davies
Share via

Losing bonus point scant reward as four points go begging

It could be regarded as one that got away because for significant periods of this game Beddau were the better and more dangerous side. Glynneath dug in though and produced enough rugby to just about earn the spoils.

An early break by Tyler Wells split the home defence and, in his first appearance of the season, winger Tom Shepherd scored. Callum Wheeler`s conversion drifted across the posts but the outside half was on target when Glynneath hands had interfered at a ruck.

There were more points begging but Beddau were not sufficiently clinical and when Glynneath found their way downfield a penalty was awarded at a collision and outside half Ben Francis opened his side`s account. A second penalty for Francis arrived when Beddau rather sloppily allowed themselves to be caught in possession. The lesson was not learned, however and soon the ball was again stripped from Beddau hands and a long kick gave Glynneath the chance to chase. A Beddau boot put the ball dead but from the scrum 5 Stuart Leach picked up and though tackled flanker Ben Jones was on hand to score a try that Francis improved.

Beddau now really needed the next score and when James Cashin stretched away from a breakdown the try looked on. The lock attempted to free the unmarked Lloyd Peart but the ball was spilled. Glynneath`s escape could hardly have been more emphatic. A long kick was allowed to roll into the 22 by Tom Shepherd who then returned a fine touch finder. Young referee Mr Elfyn Morris-Roberts ruled that the ball had been carried back, the lineout was in the red zone and Glynneath`s progress was halted illegally giving Ben Francis a three points gift.

An offside decision in the Glynneath 22 gave Callum Wheeler back the three points and at half time it was 16-11.
At the start of the second period Glynneath`s hooker mad a thrust but was tackled. Number 8 Leach had over run the ball but turned to fall on it. “Offside,” yelled the Beddau faithful and a penalty was awarded, to Glynneath! Francis kicked that but Beddau`s scrum, now very much in charge of that phase, won a penalty that Callum Wheeler goaled.

With Beddau now throwing the ball around a score looked imminent. Glynneath were defending well but an offside almost in front saw Callum Wheeler strike the woodwork. Glynneath cleared their lines but a Beddau shove at a set scrum saw the Glynneath back row detach but still, surprisingly, win the penalty decision. This went to touch and a penalty at the tackle followed. It was the home side`s turn to miss a relatively simple kick but a speedy counter attack by Glynneath caught Beddau napping. Tyler Wells tackled the ball carrier but a brilliant offload was gathered by Jon Griffiths for a fine score. Francis converted and added a penalty when Beddau were holding on and at 27-14 the game looked to be over.

Beddau launched some more attacks and when a close range scrum disintegrated replacement Glenn Slater scooped the ball up and drove over. Callum Wheeler converted. Beddau won a penalty at halfway and were advised there was sufficient time on the clock. From the lineout the ball was spilled. The scrum formed, Beddau drove powerfully and Glynneath, whose front row was missing in action, were awarded the penalty that allowed them to kick it dead.

The referee had acquitted himself well and Beddau lost because they made mistakes at crucial times and because Glynneath constantly made life difficult

Report by Lynn West

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Nov 2016