Sat 03
Tata Steel
Impressive Start Counts For Nothing As Tata Plunder Points

Impressive Start Counts For Nothing As Tata Plunder Points

By Mal Davies
Share via

Young side set high standards but fail to maintain and pay the price

What a strange affair! Beddau bossed the first 20 minutes, were 10-0 up, which could, probably should, have been more. Tata then scored on their first visit to Beddau territory and everything changed.

In a rousing start Beddau certainly looked as though they meant business and a couple of penalties were used to advance field position rather than aim for the posts then a flowing attack brought an excellent try. Tyler Wells began it, Callum Wheeler took it on before finding Cobi Flowers who then returned the compliment for Callum Wheeler to score. Hywel Chatham`s conversion failed.

Tata were hanging on but a series of pick and goes by Beddau`s rampant pack saw tight head Meurig Davies score a try that again, in a tricky wind, went unconverted.

It had been breathless stuff but Tata somehow broke the stranglehold and a delightfully weighted chip from fly half Jack O`Reilly who, a few weeks ago turned out for Glynneath against Beddau, was gathered by winger Lewis Evans for a good score. This may have been a blemish but Tata had now found that in O`Reilly they had someone who could use the breeze to advantage and when Beddau were penalised at the tackle Jack O`Reilly landed the points.

That began a period where Beddau were unable to do anything right and, from a scrum at the 22 two glaring missed tackles allowed Tata to build a head of steam which ended with tight head David Edwards, once of Aberavon, being driven over in the corner. Jack O`Reilly`s superb conversion made it 10-15.

Callum Wheeler then led a swift counter which became a ruck at the Tata 22. Openside flanker David Griggs launched a quite startling attack on Beddau scrum half Carl Lewis. A frenzied fracas was eventually halted and saw referee Justin Evans show yellow cards to both the initial offender Griggs and also Carl Lewis. The relieving penalty went the way of Tata.
From the lineout Tata began an attack which featured some good passing out of the tackle until centre Bleddyn Davies dived over bodies to touch down. O`Reilly again completed the touchline conversion.

From a 10-0 lead to a half time deficit of 22-10 took a bit of swallowing but Beddau launched into a second half which became something of a procession.

Try as they may, however, Beddau were unable to break Tata`s determined defence which, by fair means or foul, resisted all efforts. A clotheslining of Callum Wheeler brought a penalty, but nothing more and, in fairness, Tata`s ability to strip the ball carrier spoke volumes for the concentration in their defensive effort. Beddau were awarded a penalty in the shadow of the posts which would have eked away at the arrears. They opted for touch and won the lineout but an interception saw Tata scrum half Jacob Williams break clear and go the length of the field for a try that Jack O`Reilly converted.

In a repeat of Tata`s first score, Beddau outside half Hywel Chatham picked out Callum Wheeler with his precise kick. The tackle came in but Wheeler had managed the offload that gave Tyler Wells a try in the corner but it was too little and too late as Beddau again succumbed to a defeat at the hands of Tata Steel.

Report by Lynn West

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Dec 2016