Sun 18
Under 13's
Under 13's First trip over the border to Dunbar

Under 13's First trip over the border to Dunbar

By David Cairns
Share via

Josh Smith takes a brace of tries for Berwick unfortunately Dunbar's back line too much for Berwick but again great progress shown as boys learn to play as a team

Berwick under 13’s after a couple of weeks rest crossed over the border for their first fixture against a Scottish team this season after sorting the differences out between the RFU ad SRU codes with referee and compromises were agreed the match kicked off on a still chilly morning.
Dunbar attacked from the Kick Off keeping the ball in their backs playing a very expansive game allowing them to attack from depth and within 4 minutes had scored an excellent try. Shell shocked by the quick start Berwick then got straight back in to the Dunbar half with winger Elliott Gray making a lot of territory to allow our forwards to start and put some physicality on the game with some excellent rucking keeping the ball coming back cleanly to allow Scrum Half Rory Hindhaugh to have some sniping runs at the Dunbar defence and eventually when the ball came back from a ruck No 8 Josh Smith was there to collect the offload and cross the line for Berwick and this was converted by Rory.
Dunbar then came straight back in to the game using their excellent Fly Half and Centre combination to produce some strong runs from depth which the Berwick defence found difficult to stop with first tackles being missed or not enough numbers in defence area. However the forwards then got back in to the Dunbar following up a strong run from winger Liam Robson who laid the ball back superbly in the contact area and then our forwards picked and drove the ball towards the Dunbar line again with some aggressive rucking to allow Josh Smith to take his second try of the match and man of the match with a pickup from the back of a well driven ruck.
Dunbar’s ¾ line again proved hard to stop with them shipping the ball to these boys at any opportunity to give a half time score of 26-12.
Both teams came out in the second half knowing that the game was still very live and the Berwick forwards continued to dominate the contact area to allow space for Berwick backs but Dunbar kept them pinned back. Flankers Euan Thomson and Alexander Hutton linked well and Hutton was well through and at pace when a Dunbar player put in a superb text book try saving tackle to stop the run. Dunbar then scored another try from the back line before Berwick never letting their heads go down came back up to them with a good run from Jack Dalrymple and some quick thinking at free kick from ex Dunbar player Duncan Hardie allowing him to cross the line for Berwick this was converted by Hindhaugh. Dunbar then scored another try in last phase linking their forwards and backs this was converted from their kicker who had given an excellent display of kicking all day to give a final score of 40-19.
This was a good display from the Berwick team with all players showing development but when Dunbar were able to get the ball out wide and run our tackling let us down.
B Nicholson,L Robson,D Hardie,J O Reilly,E Gray,T Warcup,R Hindhaugh,A Edmondson,R Hindmarsh,R Mabon,A Cairns,B Williamson,E Thomson,A Hutton,J Smith, M Emery,J Dalrymple,A Young, A Carson
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 18, Dec 2011