Sat 10
1st XV
Marlow 19 Bicester 8

Marlow 19 Bicester 8

By Bicester RUFC
Share via

Discipline costs Bicester in second half.....

Rugby SCN Marlow 19 Bicester 8 by Paul Chrisp

Bicester looked to be on course for victory at half-time turning round with an 8-3 lead, but indiscipline cost them dear in the second session as they conceded 8 penalties, a total of 13 in the match. Marlow fly-half Matthew Labron punished the visitors by slotting over 3 penalties after the break and when Bicester flanker Matt Dye was sin binned for failing to release the ball, just 10 minutes from the end Labron converted the home teams only try, scored by no.8 Dominic Crayden.
Both sides defended rigorously throughout but Marlow stepped up a gear in the 2nd half, thereby ensuring the dangerous Bicester backline were starved of good possession. Early on a Marlow clearance kick was charged down and Bicester winger Peter Tarrega went close as he chased the loose ball. Then a quick break from a scrum by visiting no.8 Francois Weise was taken on by centre Adam White up the centre, Marlow transgressed and Tom Miles landed a penalty goal from 15 metres. White and Tarrega were soon in action again on the right, before Miles kicked a penalty into touch.
Lock Will Thurlow took an excellent catch in the line-out and the Bicester forwards drove on to the line with open-side flanker Ryan Biscoe putting no.8 Weise over in the right hand corner. Miles was off target with his 23 metre conversion attempt and 11 minutes from the break, as Bicester were penalised at a Marlow scrum , Labron banged over the kick from 18 metres.
3 minutes from half-time strong driving by the forwards resulted in a Bicester penalty award but Tom Miles was unsuccessful with the 38 metre kick.
6 minutes into the 2nd half, matthew Labron reduced the Marlow arrears to 2 points with a penalty goal on the left side from 39 metres, and 12 minutes later he put the homeside in front with a superb 40 metre kick. A drop goal attempt by Labron fell short of the posts, but he made no mistake with his 4th penalty of the match, from 21 metres. Marlow then lost a defensive scrum against the head, but the penalty award to Bicester was reversed following indiscipline by the visitors. Next Bicester forward Matt Dye was sin-binned but Labron's 25 metre penalty kick sailed wide of the posts. Immediately Marlow launched a concerted attack up the right and centre of the field, culminating in no.8 Dominic Crayden stretching across under the posts for a try, which Labron also converted. With only 5 minutes playing time left any hopes of a Bicester comeback were firmly extinquished and they now revert to second place in the league 2 points behind Marlow, but 3 points ahead of 3rd place Aylesbury.


Bicester 2nds WALKOVER Bracknell
(Bicester loan Bracknell 3 players for friendly)
Bicester 47 bracknell 5 (tries: D.Lawther 2 A.Atashgah, Dan Walker, K. Holliday, Ben Biscoe, Neil Lake, conv: D.Walker)

Bicester 3rds WALKOVER Grove 3rds

sat 17th
Bicester v Milton Keynes (home)
Bicester 2nds v Buckingham 3rds (away)
Bicester 3rds v Harwell 2nds (home)

with many thanks Paul Chrisp

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Dec 2016




Southern Counties North

League position