Sat 27
1st XV
MATCH REPORT: Marlow v Bicester

MATCH REPORT: Marlow v Bicester

By Paul Jaggers
Share via

@BicesterRUFC, @MarlowRFC, #UpTheFox

S.W.I. EAST: Marlow 36 Bicester 15 – Paul Chrisp

Marlow clearly demonstrated their superior cutting edge behind the scrum as they ran in 5 tries, 4 of which were converted by fly-half James Maddern, to defeat a gallant Bicester side, who were severely handicapped by the loss of 3 players after just 18 minutes of play.First flanker Jack Horwood departed with a head injury 8 minutes from the start, to be followed by the loss of 2nd row Jaden West and winger Andy Morgan, who both likewise, sustained head injuries, in the same collision, 10 minutes later. Replacement Dave Lawther also left the field on the stroke of half-time with a suspected broken nose, but was able to continue after the break. Eleven minutes after the loss of West and Morgan, the visitors scored a penalty try to lead 10-7, but once Marlow regained the lead with a try 6 minutes later, they never lost it, though brave Bicester refused to lie down, and 10 minutes from the end, they were rewarded with a try by replacement No.8 Wes Westaway. The Bicester pack again completed admirably in the set-pieces and industrious centre Peter Tarrega was named ‘Man of The Match’, for running some excellent lines, often from well inside his own half.

Bicester went ahead with a 37-metre penalty goal from centre Dan Spencer, 16 minutes from the kick-off, when Marlow infringed as Bicester’s forwards drove off a line-out. Immediately after the departure of West and Morgan, Marlow spun the ball out wide to the left from a scrum, and winger Miles Noble raced across for a try which James Maddern also converted. Straight away Bicester full-back Eddie Roberts successfully chased a chip a head up the right wing, only to be felled by a high tackle, as he was about to touch down in the corner, so the referee awarded the visitors a penalty try. Soon, Marlow were back in front, when hooker Stuarts Silvester plunged across from a driven line-out on the right, for an unconverted try. Fly-half Maddern then raced across from a scrum on the left side, for a try which he converted to give Marlow a 9-point advantage, 10 minutes from half-time.

Early in the 2nd half, from another driven line-out, on the left, Marlow replacement Dominic Crayden scored the first of his brace of tries. Maddern added the extras and a few minutes later he slotted over a penalty kick, after Bicester transgressed at a Marlow scrum. Marlow had already earned a bonus point victory, but they emphasised their dominance, 15 minutes from full-time, when Crayden broke sharply from a scrum, to cross on the right, for his 2nd try. Maddern again converted, but Bicester never gave up, and after prop Tom Harwood almost put Peter Tarrega over the line on the right, a penalty was fired into touch on the left, with Wes Westaway touching down, from the driven line-out, for an unconverted try. As a result of this latest setback, Bicester are now 9 points adrift at the bottom of the league, but they do have a game in hand to Marlow and Swindon.

Bracknell 3rd XV 44 – 7 Bicester 2nd XV
Didcot 2nd XV 26 – 0 Bicester 3rd XV

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 27, Jan 2018



Meet time



South West 1 East

League position