A BRIEF HISTORY OF BIRKENHEAD PARK


A BRIEF HISTORY......... 1871-2007

135 Seasons of Rugby
42 International Players
Most capped player: J.R.Patterson (Scotland)21 Caps
317 County Players
1871

Birkenhead Park Football Club founded

1885

Club moved to the Upper Park ground where it has remained

1887

Ireland v Wales at Birkenhead Park

1892

Construction of the original pavilion (still in use)

1894

England v Wales at Birkenhead Park

1903

James Baxter became President. He was to remain in office until 1940 and also served as President of the RFU.

1905

New Zealand All Blacks make first visit to Park.

1920's

The era of two outstanding international three-quarters H.M. Locke and W.M. Lowry, Locke was also England captain.

1950

Cheshire won their first County Championship v East Midlands at Birkenhead Park

1958

Park's last full international J.S.M Scott (England)

1961

Cheshire won their second County Championship v Devon at Park.

1971

Park Centenary Season. Hosted North of England v RFU President's Overseas XV as part of RFU celebrations. Dave Robinson played a final England trail and toured with England.

1974

North of England V Tonga at Park.

1975

Old Birkonian Club merged with Birkenhead Park

1978

North of England v New Zealand at Birkenhead Park

1984

North of England v Romania at Birkenhead Park.

1991

Park tour to South America - Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil.

2000

Park v West Indies International Team

2001

Park achieve first league promotion - Winners of South Lancashire and Cheshire Division One.

2002

Park Promoted - Winners of North 2 West

Park provide 3 players for Cheshire County Championship Final v Gloucester at Twickenham

2006

£1 Million Regeneration Programme Commence