Sponsor - Apuldram CentreRear Shirt Sponsor - Kevin Welling PlumbingShort Sponsor - Concise Surfacing Ltd
Tue 16
East Grinstead
First Team
Holders of Sussex Senior Cup Win

Holders of Sussex Senior Cup Win

By David Seabourne
Share via

Goals from Odokonyero x2 -Mongoy- Bell - Diedrick-Roberts

Rocks are into the next round of the Sussex Senior Cup after overcoming East Grinstead Town.

Bognor scored most of their goals in the first half with Jordy Mongoy, Nathan Odokoynero (2), Charlie Belk and Kayne Diedrick-Roberts all netted as they marched onto the next round.

Bognor travelled to East Grinstead Town to face them in the next round of the Sussex Senior Cup which is still held by Bognor after the long lockdown problem.

Bognor got off to a great start Jordy Mongoy hit one in after 58 seconds to give Bognor the lead with his right foot in off the left post.

Nathan Odokonyero hit one at goal which was diverted out by the goalkeeper and then Kayne Diedrick-Roberts’ shot was just wide of the left post on the follow up.

Liam Montague's corner was pushed out by Amadou Tangara allowing Bognor on the attack. Odokonyero’s neat tuning move ended up eventually with Diedrick-Roberts having a chance deny by a fine stop from the hosts goalkeeper.

Bognor were trying to build from the back as usual but Montague went to the ground off the ball and had to be replaced by Fortune Motobaluti eventually after a long stoppage in play.

Good work from Ashton Leigh and Diedrick-Roberts worked well on the left before the ball fell out to Calvin Davies who hit it on the rise from distance and forcing a save from the goalkeeper, Matte Pierson.

Leigh whipped in a cross to Mongoy who was going for a header but it came off his shoulder and was easy for Pierson to save.

Rebels Powell-Downey went through and hit a feeble shot at Tangara who saved low at his feet. Then Leigh’s corner down the other end was diverted neatly by the left foot of Craig Robson who caught it well on the volley but it was well saved.

Tangara tipped over Richard Pingling’s chance over the bar winning a corner for the Wasps. An overhead kick from it was blocked by the Rocks defence.

Robson headed out a cross from the right. And the ball fell out to Powell-Downey who curled the ball high over the bar on the follow up.

Odokonyero won a freekick on the turn just outside the box. Leigh’s freekick was hit into the wall and deflected high into the air and then East Grinstead Town’s defence cleared the danger on 27 minutes.

Glenn Wilson’s header was wide from another right sided corner as he peeled off his marker in the box.

Good build up play saw Leigh win position before passing it to Diedrick-Roberts an then he squared it to Charlie Bell who cut inside onto his left foot and superbly diverted it low and hard into the bottom right corner on 30 minutes to extend Bognor’s lead.

Bognor got their third goal on 33 minutes. Mongoy ran on before shooting low towards the near post and the goalkeeper pushed it onto the right post but the rebound fell to Odokonyero who slotted into an empty net.

Bognor played well to get the ball forward down the left. Leigh picked out James Crane who cut it inside to Diedrick-Roberts and he found Odokonyero who turned to blast it high into the net on 42 minutes beating the outstretched Pierson who got a hand on it.

Mongoy spun his marker with ease before running inside but after doing all the hard work he curled it low and wide of the near post.
HT 0-4

Harrison Brook replaced Crane at half time for the Rocks as they were comfortably ahead at the restart.

Diedrick-Roberts did well to control Bell’s diagonal pass before whipping the ball into the box but it was just ahead of Odokonyero as Pierson gathered it.

Jake Flannigan got the ball inside to Mongoy who played a one-two with Bell before running in and getting his attempt away but it was deflected wide.

Diedrick-Roberts turned and shot it on the turn which Pierson spilled out to the onrushing Odokonyero who was also blocked by the goalkeeper. Then Flannigan belted it wide.

Davies smashed it high and wide moments later after good build up from Brook. Then Yasseir Nazor replaced Flannigan in Bognor’s second change of the evening.

Ethan Robb burst through and found Diedrick-Roberts who was blocked but Mongoy followed it up with a curling shot of which Pierson somehow diverted it over the crossbar with his left hand whilst diving to his right.

Robson was fouled, giving Bognor a freekick in a decent area just outside the box. A short ball to Leigh saw him hook the ball onto the head of Bell who knocked it back inside the box and on the bounce it was Odokonyero who hit it, but unfortunately straight at Pierson who was having a very busy evening.

Fintan Walsh was replaced by Adrian Okoro for the Wasps as 138 were recorded in attendance.

Nazor was playing well and did the simple things right. He played it square to Odokonyero before he threaded it inside to Diedrick-Roberts but he smashed high and wide from outside the box.

Leigh’s cross was good from the left but Pierson pushed it back out of the crowded penalty area.

Powell-Downey was replaced by Harvey Burgess on 73 minutes for East Grinstead Town.

Diedrick-Roberts was a scorer of a low strike after a swift move from Leigh and Nazor but he was flagged offside, so it didn’t count.

Brook burst through the middle before firing in a pass for Diedrick-Roberts but after only having the keeper to beat he knocked it disappointingly wide. Brook had another shot that slid wide of the left post after Bognor continued the pressure.

Diedrick-Roberts directed in a cross from the right which bounced up to Odokonyero who diverted it high and wide but was offside anyway.

But East Grinstead got a goal back on 83 minutes. Tangara stopped an initial low strike but then Burgsss followed it up on the rebound, sliding it under the goalkeeper, as Bognor tired in the game.

Nazor in response ran beyond his marker before changing to his left foot and completely slicing his effort high and wide.

East Grinstead got another goal as Kie Douglas swung in a cross and a slight deflection saw the ball fall to Wilson who volleyed it into the net on 87 minutes.

Bell was fouled on the halfway line. He played the freekick quickly with a through ball to Diedrick-Roberts who ran in onto his right foot before smacking it into the net to notch Bognor’s fifth goal of the evening inside stoppage time.

Back onto winning terms, Rocks hope to continue in a similar manner away to Margate next on Saturday 20 November with kick off at 3pm.


Match report by Liam Goodley
Pictures by Trevor Staff / Lyn Phillips
Report courtesy of the Bognor Regis Observer

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Tue 16, Nov 2021