Sponsors of Club - SpecsaversRear Shirt Sponsor - Kevin Welling PlumbingShort Sponsor - Concise Surfacing LtdBoys & Girls Youth Football - Arun & Chichester Youth
Sat 17
First Team
Hampton & Richmond Borough
Rocks knocked out of the FA Cup

Rocks knocked out of the FA Cup

By David Seabourne
Share via

Out in the 2nd round

Bognor were knocked out of the FA Cup as a strong Hampton & Richmond Borough side progressed into the next round with an early Adie Shokunbi goal and an own goal breaking Rocks fans hearts.

Shokunbi won an early corner on the right. Jake Gray played it in low along the deck but the ball was hacked clear by Tom Bragg.

Then Gray swung in a cross which had to be hooked away by Craig Robson on the back post.

Hampton had another corner from the right but Robson was strong to head it away.

Joe Rabbetts found Luke Robinson down the left but his run was shut down.

But the Beavers took the lead on 10 minutes. A simple ball through the middle by Ruaridh Donaldson found Shokunbi who spotted Toby Steward off his line to loft the ball over the goalkeeper and bounce the ball into the empty net.

Tommy Block was causing problems with his throw ins. Calvin Davies failed to clear the ball allowing Stefan Ilic to pass square to Shokunbi who hit it first time over the bar from outside the box.

Robinson beat his man to get a low cross in but Tom Chalaye failed to control it. Then Robinson twisted and turned before offloading it to Chalaye who hit it early, low but wide of the near post.

Liam Vincent crashed the ball off the crossbar from some distance with his left boot from the far left side. The sun was in Steward's eyes at the Seasons end as he swung a gloved hand at it.

Sam De St Croix saw Nathan Odokonyero on the run but he stubbed his shot straight at Matteo Salamon on 25 minutes.

Isaac Olaniyan played it on to De St Croix who found a pass inside to Odokenyero who hit it on the turn but it was a great save from Salamon and then the goalkeeper gathered it before Chalaye could get there.

Olaniyan cut out a defensive clearance and hit one down wide of the right post instantly from outside the area as Bognor picked up their game.

Tyrell Miller-Rodney struck it over as Block's driven pass was cut back by Ilic.

Tommy Wood looked like he twisted his ankle as Olaniyan set up Odokonyero who won a corner. Davies spun in the corner but it was Donaldson who looked winded when he cleared the ball and so a drop ball was instigated.

Chalaye made an interception. It fell to De St Croix who latched onto it before hitting a chance at goal which forced a diving save from Salamon on 43 minutes.

In a late change Bognor were hit with an attack. Shokunbi was blocked and then Ilic on the rebound curled it wide.

HT 0-1

James Crane replaced the injured Rabbetts at half time as Bognor returned for the second half.

Steward had to cut out two different kinds of crosses from Vincent in the early stages of the second half.

Ilic crossed another ball in and it fell to Alfy Whittingham but he failed to control it and then Davies cleared it with a rebound off the midfielder.

Ilic headed it back inside from a cross and then Gray hit it on the overstretch on the volley but it flew over the bar.

Bognor won a freekick but Davies spun the ball in but it was Salamon who caught it.

Bognor were responding with some chances as they were blocked on a number of occasions before a corner by De St Croix couldn't be directed towards goal by Robson.

Chalaye was replaced by Nick Dembele on 61 minutes for Bognor.

Whittingham did well to beat the offside trap to cut it back to Wood but he dragged his effort on the turn straight at Steward.

Rocks had a great opportunity to score as Josh McCormick did well to pass two defenders running square before letting fly with his un-favoured left boot and forcing a decent diving save from Salamon who pushed it around the post.

De St Croix went into the book on 67 minutes after a challenge as Hampton hit Rocks on the break.

Charlie Bell came on for Robinson on 74 minutes for Bognor to end the loanees first game for the side.

A long throw by Crane bounced inside as Robson appeared to have his shirt pulled but Odokonyero knocked it wide of the goal in the aftermath.

Robson was playing out wide and dug out a neat pass forward inside to Odokenyero who ran around and belted it high and wide on the turn with ten minutes left.

Brandon Barzey went into the book for kicking the ball away on 81 minutes.

But Hampton got another goal on 86 minutes. Unfortunately, it was an own goal as Bragg sliced at a low ball in and Crane couldn't dig it out on the line as it flew high into the net to end Rocks' hopes of a replay.

Shane Dunne and Shokunbi went into the book late on in stoppage time as Bognor were frustrated in a game where they will rue their missed chances as Hampton progressed in the competition.

Rocks return to league action on Wednesday 21st September when they travel to take on Kingstonian at Tooting & Mitcham's ground with kick off at 7:45pm.

FT 0-2

Match report by Liam Goodley
Pictures by Trevor Staff / Lyn Phillips


Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Sep 2022






The FA Cup 22-23