Main Sponsor - Reynolds FurnitureBetVictor League - BetVictorRear Shirt Sponsor - Kevin Welling PlumbingFundraising Stream - Easy Fundraising
Sat 07
First Team
J Muitt (11'), (13'), B Lethbridge (31')
Rocks First Home Win Of The Season.

Rocks First Home Win Of The Season.

By David Seabourne
Share via

Rocks Go Into The F.A Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Bognor progressed into the next round of the FA Cup with three goals in the first half. Jimmy Muitt scored two inside three minutes and an inspired Bradley Lethbridge scored the third.

Petar Durin got a start in goal ahead of Charlie Searle after the Carshalton Athletic result last weekend and Lethbridge got a start after news that Tyrrell Mitford had left in midweek along with Emmett Dunn.

In the early going Ben Clark-Eden played it straight and forward to Dan Smith and he won a corner but the short ball out was hacked clear.

Thomas Fagg ran down a ball down the right before playing it back to Lewis West but his cross was well gathered by Durin on 6 minutes.

A chipped forward ball by Doug Tuck was trying to find Smith but Tom Benham got there first.

Keaton Wood found Lethbridge with a pass but the forward’s cross from the left flew out of touch.

Then Clark-Eden was fouled tracking back to defend before Fagg had it in the net with a low strike but it was disallowed.

Bognor took the lead on 11 minutes when Ashton Leigh's low cross was dispatched with confidence by Jimmy Muitt who drove it into the left side of the net in a swift move.

Chris Webber responded for the Brickies with a long distance shot and he managed to force Durin into a diving save.

But Bognor went further ahead on 13 minutes when Lethbridge's square pass found Muitt in a small pocket of space in front of the area and his shot was low and took a deflection off a defenders leg before bamboozling Benham and rolling into the net.

A Leigh passed onto Tuck who deftly chipped it over defence for Muitt who ran on and shot it wide though he was offside.

Lethbridge worked his was past his defender before playing it square to Muitt who weaved and turned before laying it off to Harvey Whyte who blasted it over the bar on 19 minutes.

Tommy Leigh found Smith with a chipped pass and he beat the offside flag before he smashed an always rising shot over the crossbar. Cory Walters-Wright went into the book for complaining to the referee shortly after the chance.

Durin caught a left sided cross by Festus Lori and took a knock from Shaun Brown. He required treatment after the incident.

Bognor went 3-0 up on 31 minutes when a quick ball through to Muitt saw him fire the ball low to the back post for Lethbridge who was unmarked before tapping in.

A Lewis Chambers long throw came back out but his smacked cross back into the box flew beyond the goal and was too much for his fellow players.

Fagg had another shot from distance but Durin was equal to it. This coming after a decent move for Bognor with A Leigh finding Muitt on the left but his cross flew just wide of the far post.

Decent build up from Bognor saw Tuck and Muitt combine before the latter played it off for Lethbridge who hit it first time high and wide on 42 minutes from outside the box, ending a confident first half for the hosts.

HT 3-0

There was a clash of heads as Muitt and Jason Fregene battled in the air as the game restarted with Sittingbourne needing to get back into the game. Both returned to play.

Lethbridge did very well to beat his marker but unfortunately whilst crossing the ball in for Muitt he was cut out by a defender.

A neat flick through by Lethbridge saw him play it wide to Muitt who in turn cut the ball inside to Smith who hit it first time but forced Benham into an instant save.

Lethbridge did very well to bring down Clark-Eden’s pinpoint ball and he picked out Tuck with his cross. Tuck brought the ball down really well before hitting a deflected strike at goal but it was easily saved by Benham.

T Leigh won a freekick after a pull back by Fagg but the long ball forward from the freekick was too much for A Leigh on the left.

Brown turned Clark-Eden rather quickly immediately from a whipped cross but the ball rolled harmlessly to Durin in the Rocks goal as Bognor were content to sit back in the second half.

Benham’s goal kick bounced over the defence to an on-rushing Fagg who hit it on the rise but his left footed strike flew well over the bar, failing to trouble Durin.

Muitt swung the ball into the back post where Lethbridge was waiting and he smashed it low and in but it was disallowed for offside on 72 minutes.

Bognor were exploiting some gaps on the pitch as Muitt ran on in space before belting it off the left post from 22 yards. T Leigh followed it up with his own strike but Benham denied him on 79 minutes.

Bognor were almost allowed another goal on 82 minutes when a pass back caught Benham out in goal and he only just got back to slide it back out off his goal line.

Kane Phillip did well to just get beyond A Leigh before whipping a cross in but Durin did well to gather it ahead of the striker Brown.

But Bognor were confident winners here and will feel that all over the pitch they were stronger than their lower league opposition.

The draw for the next round takes place Monday lunchtime.

The Rocks return to league action next Saturday 14th September to take on East Thurrock United on the road, kick off 3pm.

Match report by Liam Goodley

Report courtesy of the Bognor Regis Observer

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019






The Emirates FA Cup 19-20