The City of Edinburgh Council’s Finance and Resources Committee this morning rubber stamped proposals that will allow the Club to consider significant investment into upgrading the clubhouse premises together with an extension to the area of land leased.
Broughton first leased the land from the ‘City Fathers’ back in 1975 and now, some 44 years down the line, this extension will allow the Club’s Committee to seek sources of funding to improve the facilities for our members and visitors alike ahead of its 100th Anniversary, scheduled for 2024.
With the Club celebrating their 10th anniversary of Women’s Rugby at Wardie, the report also highlights plans to construct a dedicated female changing facility in a 76 sq mtr extension to the existing building, subject to required statutory consents.
The following terms, outlined in papers published on the Council’s online portal - http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/4709/finance_and_resources_committee - , have been provisionally agreed between the Club and the City of Edinburgh Council:
• Subjects: Land at Granton Road extending to 567 sq m;
• New Ground Lease: 20 years from 1 July 2019;
• Rent: £1,400 per annum (an increase from £1,025);
• Rent Reviews: Rent to be reviewed at five yearly intervals based on RPI uplift, capped and collared at 1% and 3% compounded;
• Break Option The tenant will have a break option on the fifth anniversary, and 5 yearly thereafter, on giving 6 months’ notice;
• Use: For use as ground on which a changing facility for a rugby club and associated ancillary uses has been constructed;
• Repairs: Full repairing and maintaining obligation;
• Other terms: As contained in a standard commercial lease.
All paid up members can find out more on the above next Tuesday (28th May) at the 95th Annual General Meeting of the Club which will be held in the Clubhouse from 7.30pm.
Updated 14:53 - 23 May 2019 by Mark Brown