You will be aware that the SRU have suspended all rugby and training until 29 March. You may have already seen our Facebook postings advising what else the Club is doing.
In line with SRU instructions, all rugby matches and training are cancelled up to and including 29 March. The SRU will be reviewing the situation and we’ll make sure that all our members are kept up to date with any new advice that is forthcoming.
At the same time the Broughton Committee has been discussing the situation and our response to it.
• In conjunction with Haddington we took the decision to call off our planned match at Wardie on Saturday 14 March. This, we felt, was in the best interest of players, officials and club members. Thankfully, no one at the club has been directly affected by the Coronavirus, and our prime concern is keeping players and members safe.
• We have decided to close the clubhouse at least until 29 March. Our physiotherapist has agreed to open the medical room on Tuesday evenings to help with on-going injured player rehabilitation. Special precautions will be observed, and these will be drawn up and communicated by her and the coaches to minimize any risks.
• In order to keep our premises safe, the committee is now planning a precautionary ‘deep clean’ of the changing rooms, showers and medical room. As well as cleaning, we aim to thoroughly disinfect these areas, and also all parts of the clubhouse where there is a high “contact incidence” – such as door handles, light switches, toilet flushes, bar and kitchen surfaces, tables, etc. At the moment we’re doing a risk assessment and taking advice on the what and how of this, but aim to put plans into action in the next week. We'll be seeking volunteers to help - all necessary protective equipment and training will be provided.
• We’re also reviewing ongoing Health and Safety procedures in the Club to see what additional steps we can take, particularly around maintaining a disinfecting regime. As new guidance emerges from the SRU and the NHS, we’ll also take this on board.
• Events planned after 29 March remain under review for now. More information will be available nearer the time.
The SRU and the Broughton Committee are committed to keeping players and club social members safe. We ask for understanding and support from everyone in and connected to the club at this time. We advise everyone to follow the latest NHS guidelines. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the Club, Clubhouse or Changing Rooms, please feel free to raise them with the President, the Hon Secretary or any Committee member.