Match Report

Match Report

By Simon Wells
7 days ago
Share via


Buckingham first team started their campaign in the Wadsworth 6X South West 1 East league with a home game against Wimborne in front of a healthy crowd of over 200.
Buckingham kicked off with the ball going into touch, Wimborne penalised in the line out allowing Ed Kinman to clear the ball into the Wimborne 22, who in turn cleared their lines. Buckingham gathered the ball and using their quick back line were soon back in Wimborne's half only for a grubber kick to be charged down allowing Wimborne to score a converted try. From the kick off Wimborne worked their way into the Buckingham 22 and forcing a penalty which was kicked to touch and the resulting line out was deemed not straight, scrum to Buckingham. Jim Barker picked up at the back of the scrum and made valuable metres allowing Ed Kinman to clear the Buckingham lines.Wimborne gathered the ball and ran back at Buckingham setting up a well worked try for their centre. 0-14 after a successful conversion.
Missed tackles allowed a further Wimborne try which was not converted, 0-19 to the visitors.
There then followed a good period of pressure by Buckingham and a dominant Buckingham scrum were awarded a penalty in front of the posts. Kinman slotting to leave the score at 3-19.
Two further penalties in the half were accepted bringing a further 6 points for Buckingham and taking the half time score to 9-19.
The second half started with Euan Prime being sent to the sin bin for a high tackle and a further penalty infringement produced another Wimborne try to take the score to 9-24.
Buckingham a man down dug deep and with Tom Cook coming off the bench made a vital charge down and a line out in the Wimborne 22. Following a long period of pressure camped on the Wimborne try line, Jim Barker went over for Buckingham's first try of the game. With Prime now restored to the line up, Buckingham passed the ball through the hands and Euan Prime running a great line scored Buckingham's second try ably converted by Kinman, the score now 21-24 to the visitors.
Kinman then made a number of probing kicks into the Wimborne 22 keeping them pegged back in their own half.
Wimborne lost a line out and the Buckingham pack rumbled forward and Harry Scarr crashed over to make it 26-24to Buckingham. Into the last five minutes Buckingham gave away a penalty in front of the posts within kickable range. Wimborne ted to kick to touch with the resultant throw being knocked on by Buckingham resulting in a Wimborne scrum five metres out. Buckingham took the ball against the head and Barker broke up the wing to clear Buckingham's lines allowing the forwards to run the clock down. To the great delight of players and supporters, Buckingham recorded their first league win 26-24 being the final score.

Match report by Ian Barker
Photograph of Maffu Glendinning by Steve Glendinning

Share via