Sun 25
Sun 25
Buckingham U12's V Bletchley and Milton Keynes

Buckingham U12's V Bletchley and Milton Keynes

By Anna King
Share via

Buckingham U12's V Bletchley and Milton Keynes

Another cold, but dry, morning for an away fixture at Bletchley for a three way competition with Milton Keynes also putting out a team.

As usual over 30 boys turned out for Buckingham with the usual split of Polars and Grizzlies taking on Bletchley and MK respectively.

Polars taking on Bletchley first.

Supplemented Harry and Adam Bletchley started the brighter applying good early pressure led by Harry. Good defence from Buckingham was rewarded with ripped ball secured and passed out to Kyle to open the scoring for Buckingham.

A good run out of defence from Liam didn't quite result in an immediate try, but this soon came through Luke from a quick tap and go for 2-0 Buckingham. A good restart from Bletchley led to a well taken line out for Bletchley to go over for the only try conceded by Buckingham all morning. This was however quickly followed by return scores from Kyle and then Willoughby driving down the line for a 4-1 lead at half time.

The second half saw continued dominance from the Polars with a second score from Luke for 5-1 and Alex P for 6-1, following good link up between forwards and backs. A final score from Willoughby again breaking out from defence to complete an impressive win by the Polars 7-1.

Second game for the Polars soon followed against an MK side that had suffered a heavy defeat in their first game against the Grizzlies (see below).

Polars again started well and were soon camped on the MK try line with William held up but nicely offloading in the tackle to Mathis to open the scoring, 1-0 Buckingham. A second try soon followed with good line out ball taken up by the forwards before releasing the backs for Willoughby to make it 2-0. With Polars again playing on the MK half, a nice switch move from a well won scrum sees Kyle make it 3-0 at half time.

As in the first game the second half saw more of the same with Buckingham keeping up the pressure and intensity typified by a well won maul and good interplay between Kyle passing to Mathis to score a fourth try and then a final score by a very tenacious Alex P who wasn't going to be stopped as he burst through the MK defence for a 5-0 victory at the final whistle.

The Grizzlies started up against Milton Keynes, which proved to be a one sided affair, 11 tries to nil with Buckingham playing some great running rugby, often directly through the opposition which they'll struggle to do against good opposition. But some exceptional tries scored.

Isaac opened the scoring forcing his way over the line, this was quickly followed by a great move from the backs with Max scoring a great team try. Jack then picked up from the back of a ruck running the length of the pitch to make it 3-0.

Charlie F crashed over from a tap penalty, before tacklers fell off Isaac allowing him to score his second and the Grizzlies fifth try. This was followed by the exceptional try of the half, with quick ruck ball and beautiful passing and angles of running which Joe finished off to make it 6-0 at half time.

The second half continued in same vein. Oli snipping around the base of the ruck to start off the scoring. The boys continued to bring George in on the switch ball with great effect, which set up the next try, George passing to Charlie F just before the try line. More fluid passing and great angles allowed Oli to crash over from short range to make it 9-0. More great recycling work by the forwards and strong passing led to Joe scoring another high calibre try. Tom Oliver finished off the scoring crashing over from short range for a final score of 11-0 Buckingham.

Next up for the Grizzlies was Bletchley, with the two Bucks players Adam and Harry continuing to play for Bletchley.

Unfortunately the forwards dropped their intensity a notch with too much leaning and heads up rucking which allowed Bletchley to have considerably more ball than MK achieved. But the 1st score didn't take too long to come, after good recycling Charlie D crashing over with benefit of a couple of dummies. The highlight try of the game then followed, scored by Max following a nice grubber kick thru by Charlie D into space for Max to run onto and score, 2-0 Buckingham at half time.

The second half saw the forwards win more ball and a doubling of our try count. Charlie F scored after trade mark line break and straight running from George. Joe scored with a beautiful step after great recycling. Jack and Oli scoring a try each from crash ball tap penalties. A final score of 6-0 to Buckingham.

One final game Polars vs Grizzlies proved to be a closely fought game with the only try coming from Tom O for the Grizzlies.

On the day after the senior Buckingham team won the Buckingham County Cup it was good to see the U12s proving equally dominant against the local opposition. 29 tries scored, 1 conceded – but tougher challenges will come!

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 25, Jan 2015