Sat 10
1st Team
London Lions FC
Match Report

Match Report

By Gary James
Share via

Burnham "v" London Lions

Sent from IBM Verse

andrew barlow --- match report ---

From: "andrew barlow"
To:, "marmite"
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:38
Subject: match report

At the 11th time of asking Ramblers won their first game of the season at home to London Lions.
The game was hard fought throughout the 90 minutes with Ramblers coming out on top with a 2-1 score line. The first half started as a close affair with neither of the keepers being troubled but the game took a twist in the 26 minute when the referee awarded London Lions a free-kick directly in front of the goal some 30 yards out for an over-robust challenge.
The direct free kick hit the wall and the referee awarded a penalty for handball which seemed rather harsh as the ball was struck extremely hard and taking evasive action was very difficult. The London Lions centre forward stepped up to take the kick and struck it a couple of metres wide of the goal, a let off for Ramblers and maybe lady luck might shine on us to-day. This seemed to spur the Lions on and they more or less controlled the latter 15 minutes of the game and the Ramblers keeper Chris Leonard was called into action to make a handful of regulation saves plus one excellent double save. HT 0-0.
The second half was barely 5 minutes old when Bobby Bird curled a magnificent cross in to the box for Charlee Hughes to calmly guide the ball into the far corner of the net. We now enjoyed our best period of possession and gained control of the game without creating a clear cut opportunity.
However, after 68 minutes another right wing cross was again expertly met by Charlee Hughes and this time he guided it in at the near post. Unfortunately, within 3 minutes of the second goal Ramblers conceded a corner which caused some panic in the box and the Lions forward toe poked the ball in to the net. Injuries again at the start and during the second half of play resulted in substitutions and disruption to the Ramblers pattern of play. The defence remained resolute through the final 20 minutes of the match denying the Lions any clear cut chances and on a couple of occasions we created excellent chance on the counter attack but composure deserted us at that very moment. Despite the biting of finger nails in the last 5 minutes in the dugout, the team remained strong and earned a well deserved victory. FT 2-1. At this point our next home game will be on Saturday 24th September against Takeley FC but we may be allocated a game on 17th as this date is currently fixture free. Please visit our website to check for any updates.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Sep 2016