Sat 17
Leek Rugby Football Club
Burton NLD Colts
Leek Colts V Burton Colts

Leek Colts V Burton Colts

By Kevin Abel
Share via

Burton’s defence gets them past a spirited Leek side and into Staffordshire Colts Cup final.

Burton Colts were right up for this encounter and fielded a talented starting 15 supported by a very strong bench. The saying 4 season’s in one day would be a fair description of the weather conditions, going from a still sunny afternoon to a full blown blizzard leaving players wondering if the game would go ahead. The game kicked off on time with Burton having the wind advantage in the first half. Leek’s first up tackling was good and Burton had to work hard to make any in roads towards the try line, after 5 minutes Burton did turn pressure into an opportunity and were awarded a penalty 15 meters out no too far from the posts. Given it was a semi-final and with full respect for the opposition Jamie kicked the 3 points. Burton again had to fight hard to get into the Leek 22m and following a line out and good driving work from the forwards young Scobie picked up from an ensuing ruck and broke through several tackles to score, conversion by Jamie. Now 10 points up after 10 minutes you would be mistaken in thinking it was comfortable, it was anything but. Try as they might and with ago at a variety of options through the rest of the half from both backs and forwards Burton couldn’t cross the try line again. Half time scores 10 v 0. The referee sent both sides back to the changing rooms at half time as the snow had kicked up so much he was struggling to see the touch lines, however this did clear after 10 minutes and the game resumed, Leek now with the wind and Burton looking into the oncoming snow. Leek made good ground from the kick off and were 5 meters out from the Burton try line under the posts but gave away a penalty. As it’s hard to clear and make any distance from that position and into the wind, Jamie decided on a bit of adventure a quick tap and a go a running it out (good call given the circumstance) however this back fired with a knock on in mid-field, scrum to Leek. Leek won the scrum and after a ruck or 2 went over down the narrow side, conversion missed score 10 v 5. This was just what Burton needed and it kick started them into action. Burton were next to score on 9 minutes via Josh after some powerful running, this was followed 3 minutes later after a charging run by Ben. Burton started to empty their bench and the fresh legs made a difference, Burton crossed again on 27 minutes from close range and Burton ended on a cracking score. Holding Leek back on our try line, the forwards won a turn over and moved the ball quickly down the blind side, Jamie, Henry and finally Joe running the length of the pitch to score under the posts. Final score 34 v 5. A good all-round team performance by all the Burton players whose skill and fitness won through in a hard fought fixture in horrendous conditions. Fair play to Leek they never dropped their heads and fought to the final whistle, but it was not to be their day. On to the Cup Final with hopefully a much firmer surface and better weather conditions!
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Mar 2018