The club was founded by Mrs Marion Tweedie and 2 or 3 others in season 1922-23. Mrs Tweedie was an exceptional lady who not only was the founder member of the club, but who played, umpired, coached, and supported the club until she was unable to attend matches. At Kirkbrae in the 70’s she was often to be seen at matches with her beloved dog.
It is not clear if the name was Edinburgh Gymnasts from the beginning, but in 1938 a new constitution named the club Edinburgh Gymnasts and Ravelston Hockey Club and required that members were woman teachers trained at one of the Physical Training Colleges or an ordinary member could be admitted if proposed and seconded by members. Annual subscription was £1.00 and tea fund was 5 shillings. Uniform was blue tunics and girdles, white long sleeved square necked blouses, scarlet stockings and when necessary(!!) a scarlet jumper. They played their matches at Roseburn pitches.
The team played through the war years and in 1942 a portion of the funds were transferred to a savings bank to be put at the disposal of the government. Post war the team remained at Roseburn, though there were continued issues with the pitch and pavilion facilities In 1956 the uniform was changed to scarlet tunic, white long sleeved square neck blouse, white socks and a white windcheater and the name to Edinburgh Gymnasts and Roseburn Hockey Club.
In 1960 the club moved to Kirkbrae at Liberton and the club was named Edinburgh Gymnasts in 1962 and it was no longer necessary to be a PE teacher to join. In 1984 the club moved to Edinburgh Accies Rugby Club briefly and then on to Craigroyston until the astroturf pitch was laid at Cramond in the PE College grounds.
In 1995 the club was asked to join Royal High and thus once more had a clubhouse and access to the new all-weather pitch. We became Royal High Gymnasts until the merger with MIM (formerly Civil Service) when the current Edinburgh Hockey Club name was adopted.