A few weeks ago, I updated you on our return to hockey plan.
There were 2 constraints on us
• Edinburgh Leisure had not opened Meggetland
• Scottish Hockey and SportScotland’s guidance for safety heavily restricts the numbers of adults who can participate.
I am excited to be able to inform you that Edinburgh Leisure will now be opening Meggetland from Monday, 24th August.
There are some changes to our booking schedule. Edinburgh Leisure are only able to open a limited number of pitches and have tried to maximise Meggetland availability. The coaching team have worked out how we will accommodate these temporary changes and maximise the number of players for each of our allocated slots.
Unfortunately, Scottish Hockey’s guidance has not yet changed but we expect it to over the next 48 hours. We are therefore focussing on getting as many under-18s on the pitch in week 1, allowing us to digest the new guidance about adult hockey when it is issued.
We have decided to proceed with the following schedule for the coming week only. With Scottish Hockey’s expected new guidance, we hope to move closer to our normal timetable from week 2, with (hopefully) full adult participation.
I’d like to emphasise a number of points
• Covid19 related health protection measures will be in place and every participant must follow the guidance of coaches and other officials at all times.
• Every attendee must register before participating, as we will be operating a track and trace system. This will involve scanning a QR code with your phone and filling in your name and phone number on the form that appears.
• We must apply diligently our club values and show Respect for one another. Our volunteers have worked hard to get us back on the pitch and should be complimented for their efforts.
• The schedule is likely to flex from week to week with changing circumstances and we must all recognise that we are coping with unprecedented circumstances.
• For week 1, a restricted number of adults will be participating in activities on the pitch.
• We expect most adults to be able to participate in week 2. We’ll update you on this, once we have received and digested Scottish Hockey’s new guidance.
• Edinburgh Leisure are only opening some of their pitches at present. This means other clubs have been given some access to Meggetland. For some sessions we will only have access to half a pitch, with other clubs on the other half. We must maintain social distancing with these other groups.
• Note that spectators will not be allowed in the playing area or immediate surrounds when we start training. Edinburgh Leisure’s instructions should be followed with respect to the stand. Initially, Edinburgh Leisure are allowing no spectator access to the stand.
Club registration will open up at the weekend and everybody should look out for the welcome pack, which will be issued over the next 48 hours.
Week one schedule
Monday 8pm-10pm - Ladies 1s group
Tuesday 8pm-10pm (half pitch) – Men’s hockey
Wednesday 8pm-10pm (half pitch) – Ladies 1s group
Thursday 6pm-8pm (half pitch) – Ladies “Green group”
Thursday 8pm-10pm – Ladies 14s -18s not in the 1s or “Green” group
Saturday 1:30pm-3pm – Ladies 1s
Saturday 3pm - 4:30pm – Ladies 3s,4s,5s
Saturday 4:30pm – 6pm – Men’s hockey
Sunday 12noon – 3pm - Youth hockey
Each group will receive further details from the admin/coaches/managers of their team/section.
I emphasise that scheduling may change in light of any changing circumstances. Please accept the challenges that our coaching and administrative teams have and give them your maximum support.
Look out for further communications from the Club. Check your email and Pitchero messages regularly.