Sat 23
First Team
B Hutchinson (53')


By Alan Murphy
Share via

An absolute screamer from Ben Hutchinson earned Carlton Town a point in a 1-1 draw with Stamford at Stoke Lane.

Hutchinson struck early in the second half to cancel out Bradley Wells’s first half opener for the Daniels and both sides then missed good chances to win the match in a hard-fought contest.

Wayne Scott made three changes from the side which beat Rainworth Miners Welfare last time out. In came Riece Bertram, available again after suspension, Jordan Wilson and Robbie McNicholas in place of Jake Carlisle, Aaron Hooton and William Mellors-Blair.

Scott, cognisant of Stamford’s 4-0 win against Market Drayton in their previous game, set the Millers up to congest the midfield and narrow the game in the first half. It worked to the extent that Stamford were frustrated in their efforts to go forward, but it also dented Carlton’s attacking threat and made for a turgid first half of football.

Kaylum Mitchell had Carlton’s first effort, drawing a decent save from Daniel Haystead in the Stamford goal after heading on Bertram’s own header from a Hutchinson free kick.

Stamford came close to scoring on 34 minutes when Liam Adams ran down the right hand side and fired an angled shot which drew a superb save from Jack Steggles.

Three minutes later the visitors were ahead with a really well worked goal. Stamford won the ball in midfield and with Carlton appealing for a foul on Hutchinson, Adams simply sped down the right wing, crossed into the area where the on-rushing Wells volleyed the cross into the roof of the net to give Steggles no chance.

Steggles did well to tip a Jake Duffy free kick over the bar as the play-off chasing Daniels finished the half the stronger.

Seven minutes into the second half Scott signalled a change of formation as he brought on Mamoke Akaunu for Danny Elliott and within a minute Carlton were level.

A Kaylum Mitchell corner was cleared only as far as Eddie Schoenecker. He fed Hutchinson who smashed a wonderful drive from 25 yards which flew into the bottom corner of the net.

Suddenly Carlton were in the ascendency and started to play the football they are well capable of playing. A lovely McNicholas through ball saw Wilson go clear on the right. Haystead came darting off his line, Wilson beat him to the ball but could only hit the side netting from a tight angle with the goal at his mercy.

Back came Stamford and the impressive Darol Lucas, playing at centre-half, made two impressive blocks in quick succession.

Another lovely Carlton move saw Akaunu cross to Mitchell who put his effort over the bar.

Hutchinson then put Wilson clean through on goal, this time down the middle. The striker put his effort wide of target – it was Carlton’s best chance of the game.

Stamford then had two glorious opportunities to win the game. First Robert Morgan fired across the face of goal from the left, and then he sent Bradley Fortnum-Tomlinson clean through but the substitute also put his effort wide of target when he looked certain to score.

Carlton looked the more likely to win the game in the closing minutes as they pushed forward and in the last minute of added time visiting captain Jordan Smith was sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Kieran Walker. Substitute Daniel Gordon took the free kick but could only fire wide as the game finished in a draw.

Carlton Town: Steggles, McNicholas, Fletcher, Bertram (Gordon 90), Lucas, Walker, Mitchell, Elliott (Akaunu 52), Wilson, Hutchinson (Mellors-Blair 75), Schoenecker. Unused substitutes: Gnahore, Carlisle.

Goals: Hutchinson 53; Bradley Wells 37

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM: Kaylum Mitchell

Attendance: 132

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 23, Dec 2017






The EVO-STIK South

League position

Carlton Town
Kaylum Mitchell

Player of the match

Kaylum Mitchell