Sat 12
First Team


By Alan Murphy
Share via

Carlton Town’s miserable home record continued as they were hammered 4-0 by Stamford.

Despite being second best for the majority of the game, they did enjoy a spell of pressure early in the second half when just two goals behind and had a glorious opportunity to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty kick. But Tyler Blake’s effort was saved, Stamford went three ahead within five minutes and it was game over.

Manager Wayne Scott made three changes, all enforced, to the side which won at Pickering last time out. Oliver Clark and Aaron Opoku were suspended and Ben Hutchinson was injured, having been diagnosed with a fractured skull following his collision against the Pikes. In came Oliver Robinson, Henry Rollinson and Kyle Stovell. On the bench was the returning Malcolm Podier, back at Carlton after a spell at Grantham.

Once again the pitch was awful but Stamford, with a strong wind at their backs, looked much more comfortable on it and were ahead within seven minutes.

John Sands went through on goal. His shot hit the post, Ryan Seal’s follow-up was saved by Jack Steggles but Ollie Brown-Hill made no mistake from close range.

The visitors extended their lead on 24 minutes. Jake Duffy’s cross from the left found Rob Morgan, whose lovely header was too well placed for Steggles to reach.

Morgan and Brown-Hill ran the show in the first half as Carlton struggled to get any possession at all. Brown-Hill had the chance to make it 3-0 before half time as he ran onto a lofted through ball but Steggles was able to save.

Scott made a double substitution at half time, bringing on Riece Bertram and Dylan Otshudy and, with the wind at their backs, Carlton immediately set about Stamford.

Stovell did well to hold onto the ball before feeding Blake whose shot was blocked. The Millers then forced a series of throw-ins and corners as Stamford struggled to keep hold of the ball. From one such set piece the Millers were given a perfect chance to get back into the game. A long throw from Kieran Walker wasn’t cleared and when Harry Wood looked to shoot he was brought down by Jake Duffy.

The referee awarded a penalty but Blake’s weak effort was easily saved by Dan Haystead. The momentum Carlton had built up evaporated with the miss and Stamford took full advantage, putting the game out of reach with their third goal on 61 minutes. A free kick was delivered into the penalty area and Steggles’s punch only found Kern Miller. His shot was dropped by Steggles and Morgan was on hand to fire home.

Carlton still kept trying and Blake missed a header after a fine cross by Connor Bartle. Wood saw an effort from distance fly over before Stamford made it 4-0 with nine minutes remaining. Brown-Hill sent Seal clear and he slotted easily past an exposed Steggles.

Bartle should have reduced the deficit in added time after he was set up by Rollinson, but he could only shoot straight at Haystead. To add insult to injury, when Toby Moore fired into the net from close range in the final minute of added time after some fine football between Otshudy, Bartle and especially Podier, he could only look on in despair as an offside flag ruled out even that consolation.

Carlton Town: Steggles, Smithson (Bertram 46), Ebanks (Otshudy 46), Robinson, Moore, Walker, Rollinson, Wood, Blake, Stovell (Podier 82), Bartle. Unused substitutes: Frost

Goals: Ollie Brown-Hill 7, Rob Morgan 24, 61, Ryan Seal 81

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM: Riece Bertram

Attendance: 81

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Jan 2019






East Division

League position

Carlton Town
Riece Bertram

Player of the match

Riece Bertram