Sat 11
First Team
Carlisle City
L Iluobe (38'), J Nuttall (86' Sent Off)
M Shiel (55'), R Errington (67'), J Heath (86' Sent Off)
Report | Chadderton 1-2 Carlisle City

Report | Chadderton 1-2 Carlisle City

By Ryan Booth
Share via

Second half strikes from Shiel and Errington clinch the three points for the visitors

Ten man Chadderton succumbed to defeat as goals from Marc Shiel and Ryan Errington clinched a 1-2 victory for Carlisle City, on a frustrating afternoon at the ARK Fleetech Stadium.

David Fish's side led 1-0 at the break thanks to a penalty from striker Leon Iluobe, but two second-half strikes from Shiel and Errington ensured the Cumbrians' 100 per-cent Hallmark Security League First Division North record remains intact.

The hosts headed into the contest in good form - having produced a stellar performance to triumph 3-5 at AFC Liverpool three days prior - and they flew out of the blocks this time around too.

It took Chaddy just nine minutes to carve out the first major opening. Iluobe brushed aside Jamie Heath before slipping the ball through for Bradley Kay, but the striker's effort cannoned back off the far upright - much to the relief of City stopper Stephen Townsley.

Iluobe - who was causing mayhem amongst the Sky Blues back-line with his pace and power - was heavily involved in Chadderton's next chance. The 20-year-old skipped past Carlisle full-back Peter Allison with ease before coolly pulling the ball across goal towards Kay whose exquisite dummy allowed Liam Eadsforth to fire straight at Townsley.

Eadsforth had another goal-scoring opportunity soon after, after jinking past a troubled Allison he broke into the area but saw his right footed effort drift well wide of the mark.

Chadderton's formation of 5-3-2 proved highly successful during the first-half, the system allowed wing-backs Eadsforth and Sam Riley to push on and drive towards the opposition back four. Eadsforth clearly added another attacking dimension but it wasn't long before Riley created a chance himself, though he fired into the arms of Townsley.

The visitors responded well and had two chances of their own, first Devon Matthews produced a heroic challenge to block David Renyard's goal-bound effort, before substitute Errington - who replaced injured captain Josh Simpson - saw his volleyed effort tipped over by Chaddy goalkeeper Jordan Hadlow.

However, the turning point duly arrived seven minutes prior to the break when Iluobe looked to swivel his way past the challenge of Dan Greenslade, but the centre half naively struck Iluobe's back to gift the hosts a needless penalty.

Iluobe confidently stepped up and stroked the ball beyond Townsley, to give Chadderton a deserved 1-0 lead heading into the interval.

After the break, visiting boss James Tose nullified the threats of Eadsforth and Riley with the introduction of Sky Blues forward Shiel. The change proved an inspired one nine minutes into the half when Shiel slid in to divert Renyard's drilled cross into the empty goal.

Despite the setback, Chaddy regrouped and forged yet another glorious opening five minutes later when Kay superbly picked out Iluobe 20-yards out, but the goal-scorer was unable to capitalise and blazed his effort over the crossbar.

Iluobe was forced off through injury and was replaced by debutant Oumar Camara and things quickly progressed from bad to worse in the 67th minute. After Rob McCartney's cross evaded everyone but Chaddy skipper James Dwyer, substitute Errington forcefully pounced to bulldoze the defender to ground before rifling the ball into Hadlow's bottom left-hand corner.

Siyam Muhammad and Joe Nuttall were quickly introduced to the action but the pair had contrasting influences, Muhammad was inches away from notching a stunning individual effort less than a minute after entering the fray whilst Nuttall saw red just eight minutes into his cameo appearance.

Carlisle's Jamie Heath booted the ball into Nuttall's face, consequently causing the former Curzon Ashton midfielder to respond by raising his hands towards experienced defender Heath - the duo were then shown straight red cards as a result.

Chadderton squandered another opening deep into six minutes of injury time, the ball was worked into the area but Townsley extended a strong left arm to deny Matthews' close-range diving header and ensure the all important three points returned to Cumbria.

Chadderton: Hadlow, Riley, Eadsforth, Pennington, Matthews, Dwyer (C), Butterworth, Naughton, Kay, Iluobe, Meylan. Subs: Muhammad, Miller, Nuttall, Camara, Woolfe, Shawcross.

Carlisle City: Townsley, Allison, Heath, Simpson (C), Gallimore, Greenslade, Renyard, Earl, McCartney, Blair, Lucock. Subs: Wood, Boyd, Hickey, Errington, Shiel.

Goalscorers: Chadderton - Iluobe (38') | Carlisle City - Shiel (54'), Errington (67').

Man of the Match: Liam Eadsforth.

Attendance: 87.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 11, Aug 2018






First Division North

League position

Carlisle City
Liam Eadsforth

Player of the match

Liam Eadsforth