A 'Potted History' of CRUFC
by Mike Dangerfield
The ground and facilities at Hare Lane are arguably the best in Cheshire.
Research shows that there was a Rugby club in Chester in the 1880s and apparently there was a game between Chester and New Brighton in 1879-80, but the Club later disbanded.
The 'new' Chester RUFC was formed in 1925 at the Chester YMCA.
In 1932 the Club moved to rented facilities at Boughton Hall as tenants of the Cricket Club where they stayed for almost 30 years until the ground at Hare Lane , Vicars Cross was purchased and the Club moved there in 1961.
Rugby blossomed in the sixties and seventies with a fixture list including some of the then top clubs in the North and many players awarded county honours. The eighties was a quiet period for the Club, with playing strength less than before and the fixture list suffering as a result.
The introduction of league rugby, however, revitalized rugby and started a new era.
In 1994 a new clubhouse was built, in 1998 Chester were promoted from North West 1 to North 2 and in 2000 another promotion to North 1 as well as a (lost) Cheshire Cup final.
Since the turn of the century Chester have made that final three more times, winning the Cup in 2004.
2007 / 2008
2007/8 season was arguably the most successful in the Club's history. Not only were Chester promoted as League champions from North 2 West (having been relegated from North 1 the previous season) but they also won the EDF Intermediate Cup, at Twickenham, with a 21-18 win over local rivals Birkenhead Park.
Chester enjoyed a fantastic season, finishing in their highest ever position. In a highly competitive National 3 North, they finished 2nd granting them the chance to be promoted to National 2. However they just came up short, losing 16-14 away at Sheffield Tigers.