Sun 07
First Team
Enfield Town
A Shrubb (0'), (0'), L Challen (0')
Chichester City 3 - 1 Enfield Town

Chichester City 3 - 1 Enfield Town

By Caroline Henry Evans
Share via

Chichester Win after Tough Enfield Battle.

Chichester took to Oaklands Park on a glorious sunny afternoon knowing that anything less than a win could potentially forfeit second place in the league.

Chichester started dominantly and were attacking the Enfield back line from the off. With Enfield rarely getting out of their own half it was only a matter a time before Chichester’s dominance paid off. A glorious through ball from the Chichester midfield left Shrubb one on one with the Enfield goalkeeper who calmly slotted the ball past the on rushing keeper.

Chichester’s early dominance continued shortly later with another one on one effort from Challen down the left hand side. However, the ball took a bobble just as Challen shot and went narrowly over the cross bar. After this, Enfield started getting into the game and were pressing hard against the Chichester players at every opportunity.

In the 28th minute a cross field ball led to a mistake from Hughes-Jones and the Enfield left winger cutting inside and firing a low shot past the helpless McNamara to make it 1-1. Enfield continued to press for the remainder of the half with the exception of Shrubb hitting the bar after cutting back in from the right hand side and firing with her left to leave the keeper helpless.

Starkey and McGlashan were working well at centre back with Widdowson and Wride working tirelessly in the heart of the Chichester midfield. Half time came just as Chichester were soaking up the Enfield pressure and the Lillywhites went in 1-1 at the break.

Chichester came out for the second half a completely different side and took the lead again shortly after when the tireless Challen found herself at the back post to fire across goal and into the net. The referee seemed to have found his voice and was suddenly blowing for everything in Enfield’s favour.

Ambler was working hard going forward, helping the midfield and closing down at every opportunity. This created mistakes from Enfield who were beginning to figure out that Ambler wasn’t going to pull out of a tackle. Widdowson was later cautioned for delaying an Enfield free kick with the referee failing to give the same punishment to the Enfield players when the rolls reversed.

Willett came on for Harnett in the 64th minute and was an instant threat going forward. Five minutes later Willett broke down the right, laid the ball off to Wride who crossed superbly onto the head of Shrubb who found the net brilliantly.

Chichester were 3-1 ahead but the game was not won yet. Enfield were beginning to rattle Chichester but it was them who were being caught out. After a clear swipe at Shrubbs leg’s the Enfield number 5 only received a caution for her antics, much to the disgrace of the green army faithful.

The last 20 minutes was a bit stop start with the referee pulling both teams up for every little thing. As the time ticked on by Chichester were edging towards victory. However, with only 3 minutes left on the clock, Shrubb went in strongly on the Enfield number 5 in an attempt to get the ball. The referee deemed this a reckless tackle and sent Shrubb off. Chichester saw the game out and took the 3 points.

Chichester now take on Crystal Place away (Fri 12th April, 7.45pm KO) followed by Brentwood at home (Sun 14th April, 2pm KO).
McNamara, Hughes-Jones, Paul, Starkey, McGlashan, Widdowson, Harnett (Willett, 64mins), Wride, Shrubb, Ambler, Challen.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 07, Apr 2013