Thu 24
First Team
Southampton Saints
K Ambler (11'), K Willett (70')
Chichester City Ladies 2 - 1 Southampton Saints

Chichester City Ladies 2 - 1 Southampton Saints

By Caroline Henry Evans
Share via

Solid win under floodlights at Oaklands Park.

As the season draws to a close Chichester city ladies have three games scheduled in six days. The first of these fixtures was against Southampton Saints on Thursday night, with an attendance approaching 150 the team were keen to give them something to shout about. After an impressive performance against Exeter the previous Sunday they also wanted to end the season on a high after a disappointing blip in form.

The ladies started well, having lots of possession and linking well all over the pitch. Southampton were being restricted to counter attacks and were struggling to create any chances. With their possession it was only a matter of time before the home side broke the deadlock, the ball was cleared by a Southampton defender after an excellent delivery from a corner and fell to the waiting Ambler who rifled a volley low and hard into the bottom of the net. This goal brought her level in the clubs goal scoring charts for the season. Chichester continued to create chances, the best of these falling to Ambler, who after being played in volleyed the ball towards goal only to see the Southampton keeper pull off a tremendous save from point blank range. The teams went in at the break with Chichester in a slender lead, largely thanks to the heroics of the visiting keeper.

Southampton started the second half with a lot higher tempo, closing down Chichester when they were in possession quickly and keeping possession better themselves. Their lone striker was working tirelessly to try and create space for herself but was struggling against the experienced Chichester back line. It took until the 70th minute for the visitors to create a real chance when they managed to get a player beyond the Chichester defence and as she played the ball across it struck the arm of the Chichester defender from close range, the referee signalled for a penalty despite the appeals from Chichester. The penalty was cooly taken to draw the game level.

This seemed to liven Chichester up and they went searching for a goal that would put them back in the lead. After enjoying some good spells of play the chance would fall to Willett who arrived at the back post at the right time to put the ball in the back of the net after a cross from the right hand side. The seemed to knock the wind out of the visitors and the home side continued to press for more. After a foul inside the box Chichester were awarded a penalty. Hollie Wride stepped up to take the kick however the visiting goalkeeper managed to pull off another spectacular save. The game ended 2-1 and was just the result Chichester needed to keep the momentum going into this busy period.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Thu 24, Apr 2014