Sun 05
First Team
Forest Green Rovers LFC
K Ambler (0'), J Fowlie (0')
Chichester City 2 - 1 Forest Green Rovers

Chichester City 2 - 1 Forest Green Rovers

By Caroline Henry Evans
Share via

Ladies win last game in charge for Matt Wright.

Chichester City ladies played their final game of the season at home against potential league champions Forest Green Rovers last Sunday. The visiting side knew that they only requires a draw from the tie to secure the title and subsequent promotion the premier leagues Southern Division.

The game was also the last game in charge for manager Matt Wright who after eight years at the helm is stepping to help drive the club forward from behind the scenes.

On a sunny afternoon at Oaklands park Chichester started far the brighter side and were asking questions of the visiting defence from the first minute. With the Chichester forwards pressing well and the back line closing the gap and winning balls around the halfway line Forest Green struggled to get out of their half in the first part of the half.

Forest Green were being restricted to long range range efforts and crosses into the box which were being dealt with well by the home side. Chichester had several great chances to take the lead. Firstly from a free kick by Barron which bounced in front of the keeper, then through Ambler whose fierce volley from just inside the area was blocked when it looked to be going in.

There were further chances for Waller who was teed up by Found on the edge of the area but was unable to connect with the strike properly. Found herself was the next to test the goalkeeper with a long range effort that was spilled, with Barron following up the Forest Green 'keeper had to react quickly to gather the ball.

Both teams went in at the break level. With Chichester on top they knew they would have to start taking some chances or risk not taking three points from a game they have looked like winning.

The first chance of the second half fell to visitors. The ball fell kindly to an unmarked Forest Green player at the back post where she volleyed the ball into the net, only to be correctly judged offside.

The home side were the team who eventually found a way through.

Chichester eventually took the lead their play had deserved when a deep free kick was played into the box and after being knocked down Ambler produced a looping volley over the goalkeeper and into the net at the back post.

Back came Forest Green, sensing the title was no longer in their hands. A throw in on Chichester's left was launched into the box and the flick on fell kindly for the onrushing Forest Green player to volley into the net giving Piiroinen no chance.

Chichester introduced Dowdell to the game and her direct running was causing real problems for the Forest Green back line.

Chichester did eventually regain the lead in the final minute of the game when another free kick was delivered into the box. The ball fell kindly for Fowlie who slammed her shot into the roof of the net. Queue wild celebrations as the team sensed they where going to give their departing manager the perfect leaving present.

The final whistle blew ensuring the Green Army had secured victory in their final game of a hard season. Forest Green will have to wait until this Sunday to see if Exeter can overcome Chelteham town ladies by the required amount of goals to win the title on goal difference.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 05, Apr 2015




South West Division One