Shirt Sponsor - JB Tool Hire
League Sponsor - Bet Victor
Tunnel Sponsor - Hormann Doors
Stadium Sponsor - Mander Cruickshank Solicitors
Sat 07
South Normanton Athletic
Coalville Town
T McGlinchey (87')
McGlinchey's Late Strike Sends The Ravens Through

McGlinchey's Late Strike Sends The Ravens Through

By CTFC Admin
Share via

Tom McGlinchey's strike three minutes from time ensured Coalville advanced through to the Second Round Qualifying in the FA Cup.

Adam Stevens made 2 changes from last Saturday's victory against St Ives Town. In came Stuart Pierpoint & Ellis Storey in place of Kairo Mitchell who is away on international duty with Grenada & Charlie Jemson who was named amongst the substitutes.

The Ravens took control of the game early on enjoying large spells of possession, the first real chance came 10 minutes in when Tim Berridge advancing down the right flank before whipping a dangerous ball into the box which was met by the arriving Scott McManus who volleyed an effort over the bar. Coalville were now in full control and were starting to knock the ball around nicely without really producing anything substantial to trouble Curtis Hall in South Normanton's goal.

Steve Towers tried an effort from 25 yards which flew harmlessly over the bar before Luke Shaw was brought down on the edge of the box but Scott McManus's free kick sailed over the bar from what was a tough position to get the ball up over the defensive wall and down in time.

Hall was called into action to turn Alex Dean's powerful strike behind the post, the resulting corner was met by Jack Duggan who headed wide. As the minutes ticked on and half time loomed Coalville should really have gone ahead, Tim Berridge twisted and turned past Oli Simpson on the right flank before advancing into the box and squaring to Tom McGlinchey who lifted his first time effort over the bar.

HT: South Normanton Athletic 0-0 Coalville Town.

Ellis Storey was replaced early on in the second half and was replaced by Leandro Browne. It was more the same at the start of the second half as Coalville were again enjoying large spells of possession, Alex Dean's corner was very close to behind headed into his own goal by John Guy whose header under pressure from Jack Duggan was goalbound but Hall got down low to stop the ball on the line.

Whilst untroubled in defence, the Ravens then went through a spell of struggling to really create anything to trouble the South Normanton goal. Tim Berridge limped with 10 minutes to go and was replaced by Charlie Jemson who with no strikers on the pitch was sent on as an auxiliary striker.

Coalville were awarded a free kick half way in the South Normanton half which was cleared away which South Normanton broke from, the ball was crossed in from the right flank to substitue Oli Roome who hit a tame effort into the hands of Saul Deeney who was called into action for the first time.

As the minutes passed the tie looked more and more likely that it would be going to a replay but Tom McGlinchey had other ideas, three minutes from time McGlinchey played a one-two with Leandro Browne before moving the ball onto the edge of the box to Luke Shaw who then picked out McGlinchey who had advanced into the box, McGlinchey delicately finished above Hall to put the Ravens ahead.

South Normanton pushed forward looking for an equaliser & David Leigh's volley was deflected over the bar for a corner, from the resulting corner Oli Roome hit a powerful effort which flew over the bar. That would be the last real action of the game with Coalville playing out the 5 minutes of stoppage time to progress through to the next round. The draw for the Second Round Qualifying will take place on Monday 9th September.

FT: South Normanton Athletic 0-1 Coalville Town.

Tollgate Brewery Man of the Match: Luke Shaw.

Coalville are next in action on Saturday 14th September when they host Stratford Town at the Mander Cruickshank Solicitors Stadium.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019