Sat 03
Barnoldswick Town
M Adegbenro (31'), (46'), J Lorde (71')
Opening Day Game Sees The Spoils Shared

Opening Day Game Sees The Spoils Shared

By Kevin Lawton
Share via

The Bears opened their 19/20 campaign with a trip to Barnoldswick. The starting eleven included five new faces and six from last seasons squad.

The first chance fell to new boy David Mbala who just failed to get on the end of a neat through ball. Jordan Lorde then hit a free-kick just outside the box which the keeper did well to turn round the foot of the post. Paul Connor was looking lively and solid at right back for the Bears and his pass was just too long for Paul Speed. The Bears were playing well in the early stages and some neat interplay ended with Kieron Brislen hit one straight at the keeper.

Barlick’s first chance came from a free-kick, but the header was put tamely wide. The home side then began to exert pressure and the Bears defence worked hard to keep them out, Tom Morris getting the big boot to one and then Josh Ryder heading clear from under the bar.
Barlick took the lead on 29 minutes. A run down the right saw Rob Cooke save well from a fierce drive but he couldn’t prevent Noblet from firing in the rebound.

Two minutes later the Bears were level. The ball was played out to Lorde wide on the left and his low cross was fired home by Mini Adegbenro, 1-1.

Both sides then traded openings in the final minutes of the half but neither was able to capitalise.

Half Time: Barnoldswick Town 1-1- Congleton Town

One minute into the second half the Bears took the lead. Morris hit a long ball into the Barlick area, the keeper came out and Lorde headed over him allowing Adegbenro to finish well into the empty net.

Barlick then had a chance from a free-kick which was headed inches wide. The equaliser came in strange circumstances in the 67th minute. The game was halted by the referee for an injury, and under the new rules, Barlick were given the drop ball, the Bears backed off and the same player who took the drop, played it to himself, ran on, crossed and Ric Seear finished. 2-2.

Four minutes later and the Bears were in front again. Adegbenro picked the ball up just outside the box, controlled it well and found Lorde on the left, who finished superbly across the keeper, 3-2 Bears.

Barlick now pushed for the equaliser and in one almighty scramble in the Bears six yard box the ball pinged around until Morris kicked it clear and then Cooke saved well when the ball was fired back in.

Adegbenro almost got his hat-trick on 78 minutes. He collected the ball 30 yards out, beat a defender then let fly with an absolute screamer which just went over the bar with the keeper beaten.

The equaliser came on 83 minutes. Brierley made a strong run down the Barlick right and then hit a deep cross, unfortunately for the Bears the ball looped over the stretching Cooke and nestled in the back of the net, 3-3

Barlick almost snatched a winner late on when the ball flashed across the Bears goal but no one could connect at the far post.
The final whistle brought to an end an entertaining game and a draw was probably a fair result.

Team: Cooke, Connor, Peters, Ryder, Morris, Speed, Lorde (Henderson 77), Brislen (Williams 89), De Ataide (Burey 68), Mbala, Adegbenro
Unused Subs: McLellan, Higham

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Aug 2019






Premier Division

League position

Barnoldswick Town
Congleton Town