Sat 14
A Saturday to forget for the Bears

A Saturday to forget for the Bears

By Kevin Lawton
Share via

The Bears were looking to make it three wins on the trot when they faced newly promoted Avro, but it turned into a horror story for the home side.

Avro started strongly and won a corner in the first few minutes, which was cleared but on four minutes they were in front. Another corner found the head of Potts who headed home from close range.

An excellent run from John Main, having been fed by Paul Connor, saw him cross into the box and Mini Adegbenro was inches from heading the Bears level.

Avro doubled their lead on 14 minutes. Initially a shot on goal was deflected out for a corner off Tom Morris. The corner was cleared but the ball was quickly played back in and Jacobs fired home, 0-2 Avro.

The quick play from Avro was causing the Bears all sorts of problems and on 18 minutes Avro broke from a Dan Cope corner, ball was played across the field then hit into the box and Odell fired past the diving Craig Ellison, 0-3 Avro.

The Bears nearly got one back on the half hour. A free-kick was played into the Avro area, Josh Ryder and Jamie McLellan, both got heads to it but the ball was cleared. McLellan was replaced by Kieron Brislen shortly after. Minutes later a good Bears attack saw Main cross into the box, the ball went through to the far side, it was knocked back in again and Adegbenro on the stretch couldn’t quite connect.

Avro were awarded a penalty late in the half, Potts stepped up and hammered it, way over the bar, but the Bears relief was short lived. Into added time Avro were awarded a free-kick way outside the area. Jacobs stepped up and hammered it past Ellison, just under the bar.

Half Time Congleton Town 0-4 Avro

The second half saw an early Bears attack, Cope shot from distance, the keeper failed to hang onto the ball and it went out for a corner. This was played in and fell to Adegbenro but he shot over.

On 48 minutes the situation became even worse for the Bears, with a bit f help from the referee. A free-kick outside the home box was played in and the Bears defence failed to clear and Frost found the net. The flag was up for off-side but the referee decided to over-rule and the goal stood, 0-5 Avro.

To their credit the Bears didn’t give up and continued to look for something from the game. Cope had a shot over the bar, as did Joseph Taylor-Mountford and Main saw the keeper turn a shot round the post.

Bevan Burey and Jordan Lorde came on for the last thirty minutes to try to find a way through the Avro defence and Main had a free-kick saved by the keeper just after. More pressure saw a Cope shot blocked and the rebound shot held by the keeper. Cope went close again when Burey found him out wide but his shot from a tight angle was held by the keeper.

The Bears finally breached the home goal with two minutes remaining, Jordan Lorde receiving a pass from Cope, he took on and beat a defender then fired past the keeper by the right hand post. Lorde had a final chance just after but his shot from distance went wide.

Full Time: Congleton 1-5 Avro

Team: Ellison, Connor, Peters, Ryder, Morris, McLellan (Brislen 32), Main, Beaumont, Cope, Taylor-Mountford (Burey 62), Adegbenro (Lorde 62)
Unused subs: Williams, Fletcher

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 14, Sep 2019






Premier Division

League position

Congleton Town