Covid-19 has made this past year a very tough one for clubs like ours. Ongoing restrictions have made it very difficult to raise revenues through our clubhouse and lockdown has seen us have to effectively mothball the club.
However, we now have an exciting opportunity to secure our future at Sphinx Drive. Working with developers Wellington Arch, we have submitted a planning application to transform the disused overgrown scrubland next to the club into a vibrant new community. These plans will secure the club for future generations and help us to bounce back stronger than ever before. If approved, the plans will:
- Grant us the freehold ownership of our Sphinx Drive home for the first time in our history
- Developing the overgrown scrubland will deliver investment into enhanced facilities for our members and the community
- Regenerate disused private land that hasn’t been used for more than 20 years and has been inaccessible to the public for generations
- Bringing the disused scrubland back into use will provide new homes including affordable retirement living for some of the most vulnerable residents in our community, public open spaces, wildlife corridors, a new skatepark, play area and multi-use games area for the entire community
- The new neighbourhood will further open up our club to the surrounding area, strengthening our community links and embedding our position as a first-class facility that is open to all
HOW YOU CAN HELP
We really do need your help to ensure we secure permission to proceed with these plans. The planning application is now being considered by Coventry City Council who are carrying out a consultation before making a final decision. Every statement submitted in support of our plans will have genuine influence on the decision-making process.
Please take a moment to tell Coventry City Council of your support by clicking the following link: CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT OUR PLANS
When submitting your comments, under the heading “Nature of submission” please ensure you tick the box labelled “Inform the Authority that you support the Planning Application.”
There is then a box for comments where you can state the reasons for your support. For example, how important these plans are to secure the future of the club and our work in the community; how the plans will deliver fantastic new facilities accessible to everyone in the community on land that has been derelict for more than 20 years, how the plans will help to meet Coventry’s housing need, etc.
Thank you for your valued support of our community club. It has been an incredibly tough year for us all, but with your help, this development will see us bounce back stronger than ever as we build towards a brighter, more secure future for our club!